Thursday, September 18, 2008

Here We Go Again

I was just thinking the other day that I haven't posted any pictures here in a while. Granted, not much has been going on as far as shows and riding goes, but still... I like to have lots of pictures to look back on.

So my wish was granted last night when I got to the barn to ride... There it was! Something to take a picture of! I found these lovely gashes on Lilly's left hind leg. After the initial annoyance and shock was over, I decided I had better scrub her leg up and see exactly what I was looking at under all that dried up blood. The good news was that they didn't seem to bother her at all and there wasn't any swelling. She also didn't seem lame, which was a huge plus.



So here's her leg after I scrubbed it. The mark on the left is just a surface scrape, and although it looks pretty yucky, it mostly just took the hair off. The one on the right, however, is pretty deep. It isn't deep enough to need stitches, but it's deeper than I feel comfortable with. With what happened to Ricochet with his infected cut, I was wondering what I should do with hers to keep the dirt and flies out of it.


After I got her leg all cleaned up, I decided to go ahead and ride. She seemed fine and the cuts weren't that bad. She was really, really good and I only had trouble with her once and that was because I noticed the bit was too loose. I had cleaned the bridle and obviously didn't put it back together correctly. So after adjusting things, we went back to it and she was SO good. She's really getting the hang of cantering, so I decided to work on some canter transitions from the walk rather than the trot. She was confused at first and just tracked to the inside, but went right back to the rail when I put my inside leg on her. So inside leg on, outside leg back, and off we went. She was still bent all over the place and pinned her ears, but she made the transition. I praised her like crazy and by the end of the ride she was doing really well. I even tried doing some figure 8s with simple changes in the middle. She was such a good girl.

I don't know what to make of her pinned ears during the upward transitions, though. She does it into the trot and the canter. I'm always careful not to pull on her when I ask... she just seems pissed about doing it, but as soon as she's in the gait, she's fine and her ears go back forward.

After the ride I cleaned her cuts up again and decided to put an ankle boot on her. The barn owner and I were trying to decide the best course of action to keep it clean and covered. That's what we can up with and I hope it's still on when I go out there this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment