Friday, November 13, 2009

Platelet Rich Plasma

Today was the big day... platelet rich plasma day!

Dr Elaine came out bright and early this morning and we got down to business. First thing she did was re-shave the leg, then she gave Lilly a little tranquilizer. As they went about their business, Lilly didn't seem very sleepy. So before doing the actual plasma injections, we gave her another dose. It seemed to send her over the edge. I thought a couple times she might fall right over, but thankfully she stayed standing. Her leg did buckle a time or two and I had to keep my hand on her knee so her leg would stay still. This picture is Lilly after dose number two... she was totally out of it! Look at those saggy lips!


Here's a picture of her scrubbed leg. Dr Elaine used tape to mark the area where the lesion was so she would know where to put the nerve block.


Here's sleepy again with her neck shaved and sterilized to get the 2oz of blood that would be needed to start the plasma process.


Here's the contraption that was used to get the platelet rich plasma. I didn't get to see the process involved here since I was holding Lilly, but the blood originally went in the top part and was filtered through. The red blood cells end up in the bottom and the plasma stays in the middle part. Then they attached two syringes, one to the bottom of the plasma section, and one to the top. The bottom syringe pushed the plasma into the syringe on top.


Next Dr Elaine used the ultrasound to find the lesion and placed two needles into Lilly's tendon. I hate needles and I hate blood... luckily I did not pass out during this procedure as I have been known to do from time to time. Especially since I had to hold Lilly's knee so she would be perfectly still and it was all right there in my face. Is it getting hot in here to anyone else? ...


Then she put half of the plasma in the top needle and half in the bottom and voila! Hopefully it does its job and Lilly's tendon is healing as I type this!

Lilly will wear this sterile bandage for 48 hours and then I'll go back to regular standing wraps and quilted pads.


We gave Lilly some banamine to help with any pain she might have from all the pokes, but she shouldn't be lame at all. She should also not have any additional swelling and no side effects to the treatment. Dr Elaine said we'll ultrasound in 30 days to see how the healing is progressing, but she is guessing that the forced walking won't start up until the 60 day mark or later. She doesn't think Lilly will be ready after only 30 days.

Total damage was $950. My hand didn't want to write the amount on the check or sign it... I'm not sure if it was the cold weather or what. :)

I just pray that when we look at this lesion in 30 days that we see some improvement. Then I will feel much better about spending all that money. Hopefully Lilly continues to be a good patient and remains calm in the stall so she can heal up.

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting process! She looks like such a great girl! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete