Saturday, November 7, 2009

So Far, So Good

Lilly is doing surprisingly well in the stall. When I go to the barn to clean her stall and let her eat some grass, she's not pushy at all to try and get out of the stall. I figured by now she would be quite anxious to be out of the stall. And perhaps she is, but she's being a really good girl.

She even seems extra affectionate, licking me and following me around the stall as I clean, even when there's hay in the corner for her to snack on. I bought her a small salt block the other day thinking perhaps she just needed salt and was using me for that purpose. She's still licking, though...

The size and shape of the stall is nice because Lilly seems to only use the bathroom in the back corner. It makes it really easy to clean and the stall stays nice and dry. It's completely manure free up by her food and water.

I have decided to take her off the hoof supplement, but I think I have about 60 days of SmartPaks with the hoof supplement in them still. 30 days that's here now, and 30 days that haven't shipped yet but were too far along to cancel. I'm looking at tendon supplements now to see if there are any that might help.

Monday she's supposed to get her teeth floated. I assume she'll still have that done. She'll be sedated so I don't think we have to worry too much about her fighting and hurting her leg. I was quite nervous about that when my farrier was working on her feet yesterday... Tuesday is her 1 week evaluation. I'm hoping things have improved. Her leg looked the same today, and there's a lot of heat in there. Dr Elaine said she didn't think cold hosing it would help this far past the injury, but I'm going to ask about it anyway.

I also decided not to wrap her right leg. Picky people will have a fit, I'm sure, but I don't see the need for it. The wrap isn't for support, it's merely to keep the swelling down. My vet said she didn't think the other wrap was necessary, so I'm only doing the injured leg.

Hopefully everyone else is able to enjoy this lovely fall weather we're having!

3 comments:

  1. This is way past due, but I'm so sorry to hear what has happened!!! :(

    I know you're doing everything possible for lilly! Keep us updated, and jingles of course for your sanity and her leg. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Lilly, hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good girl Lilly! She is probably enjoying all the attention she is getting now! Keep us up to date!

    ReplyDelete