Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Vet Update

Dr Elaine came out this morning to evaluate Lilly's progress.

She thinks the swelling has gone down quite a bit and is more localized. There was less heat, and she thinks the wedge pad looks really good. We're probably going to leave her wedged from here on out. Probably not 4 degrees, but at least 2. It should help her with healing and keep more stress off that tendon after it heals.

We took her out to the arena and jogged her a little bit, and she trotted about 99% sound!!! It was really great to see that!! She had trouble when we jogged her in a circle to the left so she was landing on that left leg, but in a straight line, she looked really good! The vet was very impressed that after only 7 days of stall rest Lilly was almost completely sound and her prognosis for making a full recovery has increased.

As backwards as it sounds, we are hoping that it doesn't backfire on us that Lilly is feeling better already. Hopefully she stays calm and doesn't start acting a fool in the stall.

We talked some more about Lilly's treatment and I have decided to go ahead and get the plasma treatment done for her. Dr Elaine said it should help her heal faster and stronger, so I don't mind spending the money if it's going to help Lilly get back to 100%. I don't want to wish I had done it when we're 3 months down the road and not seeing the progress we hoped we would. It's only money, right? It should come to a total of about $935.

Then in 30 days she'll be ultrasounded again to see how things are healing, and if the tendon is all filled in, I'll start walking her for 5 minutes a day, increasing the time by 5 minutes per week. So eventually I'll be walking her for an hour a day. Looks like I'll be getting a lot of exercise too!

On a side note, the vet's assistant was the one jogging Lilly around so I could watch and see how she traveled. Once we were done trotting her, we stood around and talked about treatments for quite some time. The whole time we were talking, Lilly was LOVING all over the assistant. It was disgusting! :) She was licking her, putting her head on the lady's shoulder, and then started on Dr Elaine! I think she was sucking up to try and get parole from the stall. It was really funny!

Such a sweet girl!

I actually got some good pictures of Lilly's leg today. It was overcast so Lilly's leg wasn't bright white for each picture I took.

So the plasma treatment is scheduled for 9:30 on Friday morning. I'm hoping it all goes well!


  1. I am so glad she is doing so well.

    I have a question about the ultrasound. How much does that usually run. I have just aquired a OTTB and need to ultrasound his leg. The vet is coming next week and I just want to be prepared.

  2. Thank you! I certainly hope she continues to progress positively!

    Lilly's ultrasound was $145... but there was also the farm call, which was $45. I hope everything goes well for your TB!

  3. AWESOME news girl! I bet you were so happy to see her trotting nearly sound. LOL at her loving on the vet assistant, too funny!

    Let us know how the plasma treatment goes!