Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Lilly's A Mess

I'm fighting Lilly's diarrhea again. She was having a bit of a problem with it a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't too bad. Now, though, it's BAD. I washed her yesterday and today she was covered and caked again. I can't keep walking her all the way up to the wash rack every day to clean her up. She's supposed to be standing, not walking. I had to do it today, so I hooked up the hose and made a muddy mess near the front of the stall.

I'm at a loss... I don't know what else to do. We still don't know WHY she's doing it, or what's wrong. Obviously the supplements aren't working, so I might as well quite wasting my money.

The only reason I can think of, since it all started back up once she was put on stall rest, is that her digestive system has to have something moving through it at all times. It happened on the dry lot, where there's no grazing, and now it's happened in the stall, where there's no grazing. I don't know... does that sound crazy?

So since I'm grasping at straws, and have nothing better to spend my money on, I just bought her one of these:

It's a small mesh hay net that has small openings for her to eat from. My thought is that if it takes her 5 hours to eat 2 flakes of hay instead of 45 minutes, maybe it will help her tummy. That is, of course, as long as she doesn't get frustrated and rip the thing to shreds.

I . Just . Don't . Know

(I just got an email from Millers letting me know that the hay bag is on backorder until the end of January... fantastic. I only ordered from them because it was backordered everywhere else and their site said it was in stock!) :(

And to sweeten the pot, she was stocked up today and the right side of her udder is swollen. Her poor udder has never been normal, but it's quite swollen. It isn't painful, though, so I'm not too concerned. I ran cold water on both body parts since I had the hose out, so we'll see if they look better tomorrow. I'm sure some exercise would help them both but, well, you know... she's on stall rest.

She's being the best patient ever, though. She's doing really well in the stall and is calm as can be. It's almost like she knows she has to stay in there, or maybe she likes it in there. I'm not sure, but she's being such a good girl.

Her ultrasound has been scheduled for the 22nd. Probably 30 days after that, if her tendon looks good, we'll start the hand walking. I am praying for a pretty tendon!

5 comments:

  1. UGH thats all you and her need! That dang diarrhea is your nemesis! lol

    I think you might be on the right track there with the hay bag, hey its worth a try right?? Now if they would get there act together and have it in stock somewhere!!

    Thats odd about her udder...why would it do that?? (do you know that Daisy still has squirting milk in her udder?? Now that is odd! Its been over 2 years!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right!!?? GEEZE! I'm hoping the hay bag helps, but not being able to get it for 2 months really sucks.

    Lilly's udder has always been an issue, ever since she was a baby. I remember when we were doing her tendon surgery (when she was only 6 months old) she had white liquid dripping from her udder. The vet was like, "that's odd..." Everyone asks how many foals she's had because it's big for a mare that's never had a foal. I think it's just hormonal since she's not sensitive there.

    I don't know what to think about Daisy! Mares are weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're having a lot of frustrations! I'm a long time blog lurker here. If you need a hay net in a hurry, I think I've got an old blue one you could have if you want. I know it's weird to take things from an internet stranger, but it sounds like Lilly needs it. I think your theory about keeping something moving through her at all times is a very good idea. That's what the equine digestive system is built for. Hope things improve soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Spazfilly! Thanks for posting!

    I really appreciate the hay bag offer. Is it the kind with super skinny holes? I think she needs one that will make eating very difficult for her, thus increasing the time she has access to hay. I just can't find any that are in stock...

    Thanks for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I'm not sure - I'll have to dig it up and look. I'll try to get to it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete