Sunday, December 27, 2009

Not a Good Day

Hand Walking Day: 5
Walking time: 5 minutes

I got to the barn early today to make sure I was home in time to watch my Steelers play. Lilly still had hay in her stall and she hadn't eaten her grain. Her new hay net (yes, it came early! woohoo!) hung against the wall, empty, even though I was hoping her breakfast hay would be put in there. She seemed restless and I tried to get her to eat her grain, but she wasn't interested. So I got her halter and took her out for her 5 minute walk. She did well. She seemed a little excited and I had to ask her to slow down and wait for me a couple times, but before long she was plodding along and enjoying the sunshine.

When I put her back in the stall, I took her halter off and turned her loose. She immediately turned around, bucked, and ran to the back of the stall. Talent, right? To manage all that in such a small space... so as it turns out, her stall neighbor can come and go in his stall and she is freaking out when she can't see him. Just as I feared... I thought she might get attached and have a fit when he leaves. On top of it all, she's in heat, so I'm sure that's not helping matters.

She kept running around, whinnying for him. I ended up tying her up while I cleaned the stall and took care of things to calm her down and keep her still.

I sent the barn owner an email today asking if that's the setup she's going to keep for him for a while. If that's the case, my vet mentioned a shot we can give Lilly that will keep her slightly sedated for about 3 weeks or so. I don't remember what it is, and she was doing so well we haven't needed anything until now.

So who knows how long she has been acting a fool in the stall... I'm pretty upset about the whole ordeal.

3 comments:

  1. She'll calm down after a couple of days I'm sure--if not, maybe some Ace for just the first couple of days to take the edge off?

    I was wondering about tendon rehab after she's healed... there's so much information out there. Boot them for turnout, don't boot them. Baby them, don't baby them--I can't imagine what I'd do if I had to make the decision for Odie. I try to walk all of them on the roads--maybe this might be an option for you when she's better? The hard surface tells the bones and tendons to toughen up after a few months of constant work(it may be six months, but don't quote me. I think the tendons and bones are the last thing to strengthen, even if the muscles can handle the workload). I wonder if stretching would help loosen up the tendons too, like horsey physical therapy? I've read in several places that the support boots end up weakening the tendons, because they have no concussion to strengthen themselves.

    I don't have much hands-on information on tendon rehab, but I thought I'd throw out what I knew. There's stretching books online that you could pick up if you think it would help her in the long run, or you could surf the COTH boards (what a boat load of good information there!!). There's a lot of information out there, and I thought I'd give you something to do. ;)

    Her leg has really improved though! Just be happy that with all of this crazy stall time, she's still walking out and calming down nicely with you. Two days in a stall and Odie had cabin fever. ;)

    Did you get any good horsey things for christmas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the issue is that the horse keeps moving around. One day he's out in the pasture across the way, which she seems fine with, then the next day he's locked in the stall, and then today he was able to come and go. So she isn't really able to get used to things being one way. I'm hoping she calms down. Perhaps when she comes out of heat things will get better. I nearly had a heart attack when she took off bucking.

    I've been wondering about rehab too... Like you said, there is so much information out there, and so many ideas. She went 9 years without an injury on "icky tendons" so I hope she won't do it again, but will the tendon always be weaker now that it has even more scar tissue?

    Her hand walking is being done on an asphalt road, but I was doing it there because it's flat and seems like the best surface. But you're saying the hard surface might help with the rehab?

    I do have a couple books on Amazon saved that involve stretching. I saved them before this injury, but they might be good to purchase now. And maybe the stretching will be something I need to do for her before I ride from here on out in addition to regular warm-up exercises.

    I've been reading a lot about boots and wraps. Some people say they're a must, and some say they're not good for the tendons. It's all so complicated... and there are so many different kinds. I just want to make sure her tendon is supported, but don't want to do it harm, that's for sure.

    I'll have to head over to COTH. I haven't been there in a while. I don't know anyone that has rehabbed a tendon injury like Lilly's, but there does seem to be tons of information there. I'm interested to see what my vet thinks about rehab as well. So far Lilly's rehab has been quite a bit different from what I've read about and heard from other folks.

    Great ideas... thank you! And I like how you're looking ahead to rehab already. :) I've been pretty bummed living in present day Lilly.

    I think her leg looks so much better, and she is being such a good girl. She's always so respectful, even after being locked up for nearly 2 months!

    I had a pretty sizeable list of horse stuff I wanted for showing, but everyone gave me money this year for Christmas. They felt sorry for my savings account. :) How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. eep! Hope the situation gets settled soon, def dont need her bouncing around in her stall!

    ReplyDelete