Saturday, August 7, 2010

Birthdays and Bute

After I left the barn yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about my poor horse. I was digging around in my horsey supplies and found some leftover bute from her abscess and went back out to the barn last night to give Lilly some of it. She hated me for it, but I felt better.

I was hoping she'd be feeling a little bit better today, but when I went to check on her, she wasn't any better. She wasn't any worse, but she was still very lame. I gave her some more bute and checked her over to make sure it still looked like a hoof issue. No swelling and no heat.

Because she was still so lame, I was trying to decide if I should call my vet. I feel like I should be doing something or paying someone for their opinion. I decided to give my farrier a call to see what he thought.

He said that she either "bruised the hell out of her foot or is getting an abscess." So if she's getting an abscess, she'll get worse before she gets better. If it's a bruise, it'll take a while for her to start feeling better. He said I could soak it if it'll make me feel better, but he thinks it's more of a waiting game to see if we're dealing with bruises or an abscess. I'm having a difficult time waiting while my poor horse hobbles around the pasture...

He said he didn't expect her to be much better when he comes back out to check on her Wednesday. So barring any unforeseen miracles, looks like the show next weekend is off.

Today is my birthday (the big 3-0!) and I didn't get to enjoy it quite as much as I had hoped. I still had a great time with my friends, but knowing what Lilly is going through put a bit of a damper on things.

I'm beating myself up with the "what-ifs"... I just don't understand why she was sound on Wednesday when she ripped her hoof, and then was SO lame on Friday when I had the farrier out. I didn't think it was an emergency because she wasn't lame, so I figured Friday was fine to reset her shoes, and I didn't want to take the shoe off myself because of what the hoof looked like, so I thought it better to leave the shoe alone. Was this going to happen to her either way? Or did I cause this because I waited a day before I had the farrier out? And what IS the problem?

It sure has been a tough year so far...

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that your birtday didn't go as well as you'd have hoped. HAPPY 30TH anyway!!!!

    Poor Lily, I hope she's feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JJ!!

    Everyone says 30 isn't so bad, but my life as a 30 year old isn't starting off too well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both our birthdays we had lame horses. Fortunetly for me, my horse had an asbcesses and easily blew out a week later he was sound.

    Stay tough girl. Happy belated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Milo!

    I've heard "good" things about abscesses and how once they burst all is well. Lilly has decided to stray from the norm and milk hers for all they're worth.

    ReplyDelete