Thursday, August 19, 2010

Still Puffy...

Lilly's leg is still quite swollen. I think it is more swollen today than it has been all week. She's still sound, but there's a little bit of heat in her leg.





I called the vet because I can't take it anymore. I want her to come out and at least take a look at it. If she doesn't think we need to ultrasound, then I'm ok with that, but it looks really bad. She can't come until Saturday and the other vet (the one who was Lilly's vet during the tendon lesion fiasco) can't come until Monday.

Not what I was hoping, but I'll take the Saturday morning appointment. She said to keep Lilly in until then just in case, so she's officially back on stall rest.

The BO finally emailed me back yesterday about Lilly's turnout and said he was just planning on putting her back out with AJ and the goats during the night when she's turned out and then putting her back in the stall during the day until she goes back on permanent pasture board (if that ever happens...).

Well I've decided that I do NOT want her back out with the goats. I'm sorry, and I hate to be high maintenance, but I do not want that mare turned out with goats. My nightmare is that she gets gored by one of the goats or her leg gets cut open from a goat horn. How likely are those situations? Not likely... but could it happen? Yes. And if it can happen to anyone's horse, you and I both know it will happen to mine.

So I emailed him and told him so.

He called me this evening and said his plan was still to turn her back out with the goats. I stressed that I didn't want her with the goats and he said, "well what do you want me to do with them then?"

Ummm... that's not my problem. Those are your goats and these are my horses, and I don't want one of them pastured with goats. I don't think it's too much to ask to pasture my horse with other horses and not goats.

He exclaimed that they aren't vicious goats and they're afraid of the horses and he thinks it is highly unlikely that she'll be gored by a goat. He said they don't even hang out with the horses.

Well, that's nonsense because AJ was grazing with the goats today. All of them, happily grazing together. He thinks she's more likely to be injured if he turned her out with other horses than leaving her with AJ and the goats.

There's another boarder at the barn that doesn't want her mare turned out with goats. He accommodates her, why not me? In fact, her mare has private turnout. Goatless, private turnout.

We're going to have a face to face chat tomorrow. Am I being unreasonable?

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about Lilly's leg. I hope she recovers quickly.
    I don't think you're being unreasonable about the goats at all. I think I'd be more concerned about my horse running and getting hurt more than his getting a contact injury. Paj is a Prince, Lilly is a Princess, and they need royal treatment. That's just their nature. Our vet tech calls Paj "Bubble Boy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can figure out what is wrong with her leg - looks like it might be a tendon injury but I've got no experience with those to offer. The vet should have an idea - I hope it resolves quickly and easily. I agree about the goats - that should be your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never rains, but it pours! I don't think you're being unreasonable about not pasturing your horses with other species, especially considering her injured hoof may have been caused by her reaction to the goats. I assume goats weren't mentioned when you agreed to board there? If not, I don't think you're out of line.

    Ugh. I sure wish this barn was turning out better. :( Hopefully this s#!*-storm ends soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Terry... Lilly IS a princess for sure! It's bad when the vets give your horses nicknames, isn't it? LOL

    Kate, she just came off of a tendon injury on that leg in that same exact area. That's why I'm so concerned that maybe she reinjured the tendon. She's not lame so no one seems too concerned but me.

    I think it's a thunder storm, SillyPony!! We did not agree that goats would be pastured with my horses when I agreed to the boarding contract, and I'm trying not to be the timid little person I always am. I'm trying not to be high maintenance, but I would really love a sound horse!

    ReplyDelete