Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Still Waiting...

Lilly is still VERY lame today. Her abscess hasn't popped, but it looks like it's going to be a doosie.

Here's a picture of her hoof before I soaked it today.

It's kind of hard to see, but there's an area at the top of her hoof, about the size of the damaged hoof area, that is puffy and painful. Even the top of her hoof seems to be peeling down a little bit.

I highlighted the area in this picture so you can see the size of it.

I'm hoping that entire area doesn't rupture when the abscess finally comes out. We would have a huge mess on our hands for sure.

She was a good girl about being soaked after getting over her initial anxiety about, get ready for it, not being able to see the other horses! GASP! THE HORROR! She's such a goober about her attachment to other horses.

Don't let the innocent face fool you!

After not being able to stand it any longer, I took my new halter to the barn.

It fits her with room for some adjustment, but I really don't care for the way it sits on her face. The moons keep the nose piece from being able to sit flat on her nose because they keep the it in a fixed position. The nose piece on my other halter was free to move around, so I could push it down and lay it flat against the bridge of her nose.

Otherwise, it looks really pretty!

Pay no attention to the "matching" lead rope. ;)

She hasn't been eating her grain very well, but inhales cookies like a Hoover vacuum cleaner. She was eating her hay too, so I don't know why she's not interested in her grain.

Lilly thinks being locked up in a stall with a bum hoof is no fun at all!

"Gaack!"

6 comments:

  1. Oh, poor poor girl! That looks awful! Does she have a temperature? My vet puts us on the antibiotic SMZ when Paj gets an abcsess (in addition to the soaking, bandaging and bute). He's had 2 in the last year, which is 2 too many.
    The halter is gorgeous, and she looks absolutely beautiful in it. You can't tell from the photo that the fit isn't perfect. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her temperature was normal yesterday when we checked (100.2), but I didn't take it today. If this thing keeps up, I might inquire about SMZs. My vet didn't mention it last time either, but I can certainly see how they would help.

    Abscesses are just awful... I feel so bad for the horses who get them.

    And thank you! It might just take me a while to get used to the different fit, or I might be able to adjust it somehow to sit more flat on her nose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an ignoramus but I think that halter looks just fine on her head. :)

    When Poppy got an abscess, it popped at the same place pretty much. It never looked any worse than that - eventually all the pus oozed out of the little bitty slit at the coronet band, and then the new hoof slowly grew down perfectly normal. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and it's PRETTY! Love the silver on her dark palomino head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The halter is very very pretty on her, but I agree that the fit is a little off. What bothers me is the nose/cheek connector piece looks like it's hitting/covering her cheek bone. I was taught the corner should be one/two fingers from the end of the bone, but maybe the connecter makes that a different rule? I almost want the nose piece to be a touch longer so the cheek pieces rest a little lower. If you're concerned, maybe send the picture to a judge or someone who shows big breed shows? Get their opinion? I'l email you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Funder... I sure hope it doesn't look much worse than it does. I guess I'm picturing a big blow out. That would not be good.

    If you look REALLY closely at the halter, you can see how the nose piece doesn't lay flat... that's the part that bothers me the most. I do love the color, though!

    Thanks SillyPony... I agree. I emailed you back. :)

    ReplyDelete