Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Boots and Shoes

Lilly only had one bell boot on today... I found the other one in the pasture ripped to shreds. Hopefully it did its job and saved her hoof! The only problem is, I don't have another pair. Well, I have the no turn kind but I don't like those for pasture turnout, so I think I might try a pair of the pull-on bells so she can't rip the Velcro off and ruin another pair.

I had planned to ride today but I noticed her shoe was loose. It's the shoe on her old abscess hoof, and the shoe was tacked on with fewer nails because of her hoof issues, so I'm not surprised it's loose. It isn't super loose, but anything is cause for concern where Lilly is involved, so I decided not to ride. I called my farrier and he is coming out tomorrow to reset it.

In other news, her tendon is still really swollen.

She's not sore, it doesn't hurt her if you palpate it, and she's been on 24 hour turnout for over a week now. It's almost time for fall shots, so I'm going to have my vet look at it again when she comes out for that. I don't know what else they can do about it, but I don't understand why it's still so swollen.

Doesn't she look happy to be posing for pictures?

2 comments:

  1. That's a bummer that her tendon is still swollen, and kinda odd. You'd think moving around in the pasture would take care of it. Maybe she just needs a little more time before it goes down.
    No, she doesn't look very happy in the crossties, but you both look cute as a button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry! :)

    Yeah, the vet mentioned it might take quite a while for the swelling to go down, but it just looks really bad. I'm curious if it will cause any issues for me in the show ring from judges who might think I'm riding her with a bowed tendon or something...

    Halter is for sure out of the question, though.

    ReplyDelete