Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Update From the Vet

My vet was finally able to look at the pictures of Lilly's ultrasound from August. I can't remember the exact terms she used, but basically the ligament was about 5mm smaller in August. So it has gotten worse since the ultrasound in August.

I pretty much figured that would be the case since Lilly was put back on pasture and I was RIDING her...

Since cold therapy is shown to be most successful during the first 72 hours after an injury, she said icing for a week is all that's really necessary, especially if it doesn't seem to be helping. Obviously we've missed that 72 hour deadline by oh, about 30 days. So as of Sunday, I don't have to ice her leg anymore.

I just ordered ColdFlex bandages...

Oh well, I might still ice her anyway. It can't hurt.

So the plan is to keep her on 30 days of complete stall rest, stop the icing and Surpass on Saturday. Hand grazing is ok, but she doesn't want her doing any forced moving. At the 30 day mark we'll do another ultrasound and see how things look. If she hasn't improved with rest, we'll proceed with the shock wave therapy.

Hindsight is 20-20, but I wish, wish, wish I would have waited and had Dr Elaine do the ultrasound instead of a vet unfamiliar with Lilly's situation. We might have been able to catch this sooner, keep her on stall rest, and avoided the situation we're in now. I should have known the swelling wasn't just swelling and that something was really wrong. I had a feeling, which is why I had the vet out, but . . .

I know the situation with her abscess was extreme and her ligament went though quite a bit of trauma, but just the fact that she has reinjured it has me worried. I hope this isn't something we'll be dealing with for the rest of her life.

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry too much about what's already happened, just focus on what needs doing now. She has a very good chance of full recovery, although it will take time, perhaps a lot of time. These injuries are slow to heal, but often recover quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, you know how sorry I am, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont blame yourself! You did the best you could with the information you had. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I appreciate your kind words.

    I just wish I had a crystal ball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have lots of time for her to get better :)Dont be so hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete