I went to the check out the co-op on Sunday afternoon. My first impression was that the place was a bit run down. The grass wasn't mowed, the fences didn't look very sturdy, and the barn was nothing fancy. The stalls weren't matted, but the essentials were there, and they appeared to be safe. There would be plenty of room to store hay, grain, and tack, but compared to the place I'm in now, the facilities were far from impressive.
The 'arena' was a grass area that used to be a pasture, where I would also park my horse trailer. And, there are cows... I'm a bit worried about those cows. Lilly doesn't like cows, and she and AJ would be pastured next to them.
The coordinator was REALLY nice and I enjoyed talking to her. The farm has some silly rules even though she kept saying how it was all about taking care of your own horses and doing what you think is best for them... as long as it doesn't go against any of the many rules they have in place. A lot of the stuff is common sense and it's sad that they actually have to spell it out for some people.
Bottom line, I don't think it's worth it for the price. Having to supply all my hay, grain, and shavings would add quite a bit to my board bill, and I don't think I'd be happy with the facilities there. AJ would also be required to be in a stall when the other horses are in the stalls. I don't want him stalled that much.
Also, because I have 2 horses I'd have to do twice the feedings as those with one horse. And I'd be going over every day to clean my stalls.
My dad suggested I stay where I am and go over every day to check on Lilly since that's what I'd have to do at this new place anyway. Then I wouldn't have to rely on someone to tell me when my horse is hurt or sick. I do that now, but I would like to go on vacation at some point, and things could happen after I leave that no one would call me about. I still want to move my horses. I don't like what I saw and what has happened and I'd rather spend my money somewhere else. It's a shame because my current barn is so nice, but I have to think about my horses.
I have a few other places to check out, but I'm going to double check with the vet before I make any decisions. I might just make due for now and wait until Lilly is off stall rest. Maybe by then the place will have sold... Until then, the black and white Paint mare's owner and I have agreed to take care of each others horses like they're our own. It should help ease my mind.