My parents left to go back to Michigan this morning, but I had a great visit with them over the past couple days. I sure wish they lived closer so I could see them on a more frequent basis. My Dad could bring his horse down and everything! :)
The State Fair Quarter Horse and Paint show was Tuesday and Wednesday. I couldn't show but I wanted to go up there and watch so I could see what I was missing. By the time we got there at 12:30 on Tuesday, all the halter and showmanship classes were over. There were a LOT of them so I'm guessing the turnout this year wasn't very good.
We ended up watching the western pleasure and horsemanship classes. Those classes were also quite small. I think the biggest class had 9 horses, but most of them had 4 or 5. There were some pretty nice movers for a change, but a lot of them still bobbed their heads up and down... up and down. I try to defend my breed, but the judges and exhibitors make it challenging at times.
After the western classes we stayed to watch a few reining patterns. I used to have a horse that loved reining and he was really good at it (for the 4-H level we were showing), but these horses were quite good. It was fun to watch some speed for a change after seeing horses pitter patter around for 4 hours. :)
The co-op had put me on hold while they discussed whether I would be a good fit for their barn. The coordinator called me today saying they'd love to have me and they were going to split the pastures like she mentioned to accommodate my mare. I almost expect to see them wrinkle up their noses when they say that word... lol I kindly declined telling them that I would rather my gelding be able to stay out 24/7, but thanked her for her time and told her I would keep her in mind if anything changed. I don't plan to board there at all, but I don't like to burn bridges. She mentioned another co-op place down the road from her that does pasture board and suggested I put AJ there and keep Lilly at their barn. Then she remembered Lilly was a mare and had to retract her statement. Sooo... if I had any doubts, they're gone. I mean, what happens if AJ gets sick or something and HE has to go on stall rest? Or God forbid something happens to him? Lilly can't go outside because the boys can't handle it? I need to find somewhere that is ok with mares.
T minus 5 days until the ultrasound. Depending on what the results are, I'm still seriously considering having the other veterinary practice come out and give me a second opinion. I don't know if it'll do me any good because the treatment options really are limited, but someone else might have a different perspective or another prognosis.
Things at the barn have been quiet. 'M' has been giving Lilly some hay in the early morning and I turn out her mare when I go in the late morning. We stay in touch via telephone and email, so I'm a little bit more comfortable with things for now. She doesn't check on AJ but he's much more hardy than Lilly and I always check on him when I'm there.