Saturday, October 16, 2010

Trail Ride With AJ

M and I met at the barn this morning for a trail ride we planned yesterday. I got there at 9:45 and chatted with the BO for a few minutes about something that happened yesterday (he locked up AJ's feed barn and I couldn't get to my supplements). During our conversation I also found out that AJ hadn't been fed yet... 9:45 and he hasn't been fed yet?

It was a little chilly this morning so I wasn't sure how AJ would be, but he was a pretty good boy. The trails were wide and clean and we only ran across a couple obstacles, one of them being a little creek. M's mare didn't want to cross, so she had to get off and walk her through the water. I was determined NOT to walk through the water, but I did get off and walk AJ to the water so he'd at least see that it wasn't as scary as he thought. Then I hopped back on and he reluctantly walked through the water. Good boy!


(This is SO not a good picture of him... but I had to post it!)
We only rode for about 30 minutes, but I spent some time with AJ after the ride and he fell asleep in the sunshine. :)

The BO also mentioned there has been no real interest in his farm. He's had it for sale since June and there have been no offers up to this point. I think he can only drop the price so much, so his options are limited. He said he's thinking about leasing the house and running the farm only as a business, not being directly involved, and making his home somewhere else. He said he's tired of coming out to the barn before work, working a 12 hour day and then having to come back out to feed again later. (Gee, I never would have guessed!) So that would mean turning the place into a co-op.

If that happened, I think I would stay put. It would depend on the price and what type of management was being done by the co-op participants, but we'd be responsible for our own horses and I wouldn't have to depend on him to do things he no longer has an interest in doing. M and I could share responsibilities and I think it would work out quite well.

I'm thinking about typing up an email to see if I can do the co-op thing now, or see how much he wants for self care stall board. Lilly will be on stall rest for quite a few more months at least, so if I could take care of her myself and buy grain and hay on my own, I think I could save some money. With AJ I think I'd be ok with the BO still doing 'full care' since he's with another boarder's horse. That way they both get fed at the same time until (if) we go to co-op.

The BO really is the problem, so if he was out of the picture, I think it could be heaven there!

6 comments:

  1. No 7 a.m. breakfast? My boys would rip the barn apart! Poor AJ! How old did you say he is? He looks great.
    Best of luck Tuesday - I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SillyPony... don't I wish! If I didn't already have a house, it would be the answer to my problems!

    I'm surprised the horses hadn't found a way to feed themselves by that point, Terry! AJ is 24. :) I still think he needs a little weight, but thank you!

    And thank you for the kind thoughts about Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I'm glad you rode AJ.

    Owners who are bored with being owners are so frustrating. I hope he does make a change - it sounds like going co-op would work for you and a few other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a nice ride on AJ, he looks great! I'm anxious to hear how this B.O. decides on the co-op thing...it doesn't make sense to me that he already hasn't decided to do that since it sounds like he's pretty busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Co-op would work out perfectly! I think the lady leaving at the end of the month would even stay if that was the case. And she'd make a great co-op manager!

    The barn owner sure doesn't make a good barn manager...

    ReplyDelete