Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Yet Again

It was a busy weekend. Between baby showers, work, and football, I had to find a few hours to squeeze in my sweet Lilly. On Saturday something had to give and I wasn't able to get to the barn before work.

I should know better than to skip a day at the barn. When I don't go check up on Lilly, I find something horrendous the next day. The first time I didn't go was when Lilly had stepped on her shoe and ripped off a huge chunk of her hoof. The second time was when she was battling cellulitis. So what did I find this time? Oh, just this on her face:

I was actually much bigger (so I'm told) on Friday night and all day Saturday. I visited her on Sunday and found a giant area of swelling on the side of her face. It was so big that her halter barely fit... if I didn't know better, I'd say it looked like someone balled up a fist and punched her in the side of the face. It was about the size of a softball. I didn't have my camera with me then, and the swelling has gone down quite a bit today, thank goodness, so it isn't as noticeable. She must have whacked her face on the hay rack in her stall or something, but I was concerned that she might have broken a bone because it's right around the area of her sinus cavity.  Since the swelling was down quite a bit today, I think it's just a soft tissue injury.

She also had some fairly minor-ish scrapes on her back leg which caused her leg to swell up quite a bit. You can see them in this picture I took of her today.

Oh, and the whiteboard that's attached to her stall, that says, "Please call if there are any issues with Lilly (along with my cell phone number)" is still there, but strangely I never got a phone call.

It also says "No turnout" but I found out the BO has been letting her out to eat grass while he cleans her stall every morning. I shouldn't worry, though, because she just walks around...

Two very specific instructions, neither of which are followed. More on this later...

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. Now I feel bad for suggesting you go to this place regardless of the sale situation. I'm so sorry the level of care doesn't match the usefulness of the facility.

    I know how frustrating it is to leave instructions that are not followed. I sure hope if you leave this place you find a really good place. I am so happy with the place I moved to. I really wish that for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't feel bad, SillyPony!

    I made this unfortunate decision on my own and I had no idea it would turn out this way. Everyone had such good things to say about the place and I had a really good feeling about it when I visited.

    Live and learn... I'm just regretful that Lilly has paid such a high price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I'm so sorry Lilly got hurt again. And I'm sorry no one noiced. That's not right. Hugs to you both. ((()))

    I took a picture for Lilly on my trip that I'll post in a few days - hope it makes you smile when you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Terry! My silly mare seems to be able to hurt herself no matter where I put her!

    I can't wait to see and show Lilly the picture you took for her!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found something I'm interested in this post. I think I'll visit this blog again. Thanks for sharing of new information and interesting style of writing, greetings!
    more about cellulitis

    ReplyDelete