Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking Ahead to 2011

Everywhere I look I see thoughtful posts looking back at 2010 and hopeful plans for 2011.  Unfortunately for me, at least where Lilly is concerned, 2010 wasn't the best year.  My only goal for this year was to do everything in my power to help Lilly return to a normal life and we're obviously not there.  Setback after setback followed us all year long and kept us from achieving just one goal...  I can feel good about the fact that it wasn't for lack of trying, but it just wasn't meant to be.

So I happily leave 2010 and welcome 2011.  I hope 2011 is better to me than 2010, but I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic just in case.

Speaking of setbacks, Lilly had no appetite this morning and hadn't eaten much of her hay last night.  She even turned down cookies, so her tummy is definitely not feeling well.  The diarrhea was better this morning but she is definitely still experiencing digestive issues and she still looks pretty drugged.  I decided to call my vet and ask her if this is normal, abnormal, cause for concern or what. 

When I told her how drugged Lilly looked she said, "She must be really sensitive!"

Of course she is...  because it wouldn't be Lilly if everything went according to plan!

She said Lilly's drugged appearance and the diarrhea should subside after a few days but if things still aren't better on Monday to give her a call.  I ran out and got some probiotics to add to her feed, but those won't do her much good if she won't eat breakfast and dinner.  They didn't have the tube probios or I would have purchased those instead, so hopefully she'll feel like eating again soon. 

She also has a lot of scrapes on her head.  I think she's stumbling around the stall and whacking her head on the hay/grain feeder.  She's got 5 different marks on her beautiful face.  :(

We had a beautiful day today.  It was sunny and 60 degrees so I took AJ's blanket off before turning him out in the pasture.  He's definitely filling out, but I can still see his ribs a bit.  If I can ever get my head above water with Lilly I think I'll have a drug panel run on him just to make sure everything is ok.  Seems like he would have put on more weight than that by now with all the calories he's consuming.  On the plus side, he's been drinking a fair amount of water overnight in the stall.  He still goes right out to the pond to drink, but at least I know he's drinking something in there!

I tried to take Lilly's blanket off too but she started shivering.  It's a bit cooler in the barn but I was surprised that she was so cold...  I hope it's related to the Sedivet and not from something else.  She's lost a bit of weight as well, I think from fretting so much in the stall when AJ and Baby are turned out.  M said she wasn't eating much during the day and with as much carrying on as she's been doing in there I think that's why she's dropped weight.  She had a bit to spare, but she's lost more weight than I'm comfortable with.  So when I bought the probios, I decided to get a bag of SafeChoice and put her back on that.  I've not noticed any positive things since putting her on the Strategy Healthy Edge, so back to the SafeChoice we go.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!  Bring on 2011!  

8 comments:

  1. Oh no, friend. I am so sorry Lilly isn't feeling well. I hope she perks up much sooner than Monday! This year has really sucked for you. I so admire your dedication to Lilly and AJ. You are a wonderful horse owner. 2011 will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor Lilly and you! If its not one thing than its another. Hopefully 2011 is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Lilly starts to feel better and that 2011 is a better year for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Terry!! You are so sweet! :)

    And thank you, Justaplainsam and Kate... I hope so too!! I hope it's our year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh in2paints, you really have had a banner year, haven't you? But I do think that you are also winning "Horse-Mom of the Year" for all the TLC you've been pouring into both of your pony friends, though, so you can feel good about that. Your ponies are very loved and though this has been a tricksy year, you have proven your devotion to your ponies. How many of us can say THAT?

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Lilly. Poor you! Here's hoping she feels better, and soon. Fingers crossed for a much better year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds to me like you got a dry probiotic. If you want to be sure you're getting that into Lilly you can put it into a dose syringe and add water and give it that way. I always do that to be sure they're getting in where I want them.

    Hoping for a better year for both you and Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate the kind sentiments, SillyPony! It seems to be a never ending thing with the horses these days and you really cheered me up. But you know, I've seen you and others show just as much dedication to your horses. Hopefully none of you end up going through what I have with Lilly, but I know you would do the same thing for Junior. :)

    Thanks, Dom... here's hoping 2011 is Lilly's year!

    Thanks, Rainbow! Lilly did eat them this morning, but she might decide in a couple days that she doesn't like them anymore. I'll definitely have to dig out my syringe in case she decides to pass on the probios.

    ReplyDelete