Thursday, December 30, 2010

Oh, Sedivet...

How I despise thee...

I forgot to mention one thing about the Sedivet injection in my post yesterday.  Apparently, one of the side effects is diarrhea.  We all know how delicate Miss Lilly's digestive system is, so giving her a drug with a known side effect like diarrhea probably wasn't a good idea.  My vet didn't mention that little fact until after we had given her the shot, but perhaps I should have inquired prior.

I'll go ahead and apologize for my vulgarity now, but there's only one way to describe Lilly's stall this morning...  it looked like a shit bomb exploded in there.  Her blanket was covered, her tail bag was covered, her hind end was covered, and the entire stall had to be stripped of bedding.  The walls will need a good cleaning too come spring...

I'm not sure if this side effect is only temporary, or if she's going to have explosive diarrhea for the next 30 days.  I'll give her another day and see how things go, but I'll probably end up calling the vet to see if there's anything we can give her to help.  Washing her butt and stripping the stall every morning sounds like the worst way I could spend the first 2 hours of my day.

The Sedivet was also supposed to be undetectable.  My vet said it wouldn't be noticeable but would take the edge off.  When I called M today to tell her about the diarrhea she said she could tell right away last night when she went to feed that Lilly was drugged.  She looks sleepy and is slightly unstable on her feet. 

She still managed to paw impatiently before breakfast and at the door after I turned Baby and AJ out.  I gave her some extra hay, closed her in, and she calmed down after a few loud cries for Baby.  I hope she did a bit more resting today than she has been.

So, I can't win for losing.  Either she's in the stall pawing up a storm, or she's outside where she can run around do who knows what out there.  If she's inside the stall doped up on Sedivet she's pooping all over the stall and everywhere else.

The fun never ends where Lilly is concerned!

8 comments:

  1. Oh I can just picture those walls now....yuck and yuck. It seems it never ends with Lilly, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Tell Miss Lilly that it's very important to drink up and stay hydrated while she has her little problem. It can't possibly last 30 days. Can it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!!! Poor Lilly (and you!) Hopefully it goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It never ends... :( My poor girl!

    Lilly is definitely a good drinker. I've often wondered if that's why she has runny manure so frequently... too much water? I have no idea. Hopefully she keeps drinking.

    We've gone for months with diarrhea, so I'm going to expect the worst and hope for the best.

    Thank you, Justaplainsam!! Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I'm so sorry, how horrible for you and poor Lilly:( Here's hoping it's very temporary and she's dropping nuggets soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know there's a horse version of probiotics to help with diarrhea that you add to their food. We have a horse at our barn that gets pretty bad certain times of the year and that's what he is put on. Hope she gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I hope that doesn't last long (the squirts, that is). Poor Lilly and poor you :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! I'll pass your well wishes on to Lilly too... I know she could use some right about now.

    Horsemom, thanks! I did buy her some probiotics today so hopefully she'll eat them up.

    ReplyDelete