Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Shock Wave Therapy Part 2

I made it back safe and sound but I wasn't happy to see the 6 inches of snow that had accumulated here on Christmas night. It's still quite cold, although most of the snow has melted now. It looks like we'll finally be getting a break from the chilly weather this weekend. Saturday looks lovely with temps in the 60's and lots of sun!

The horses seemed happy to see me, although I think they just wanted out of their stalls. Perhaps they thought I had given them away to M? In any case, everyone is doing well. I pulled AJ's blanket up a bit to see how his body condition looked and he's definitely gained some weight. I'm anxious for Saturday so he can go out without the blanket and I can really see how he looks. I'm sure he can't wait to roll around naked in the mud...

Lilly has been quite a handful for M. She said she was really restless in the stall and seemed to be on some kind of hunger strike during the time her friends were outside. Yesterday and today I just turned her out... she ran around a little bit but then settled down and seemed to enjoy the sunshine. I figured she'd be more calm outside than in.

When the vet was out to do Lilly's second SWT treatment today she saw Lilly was turned out and asked me how she was doing. She said she figured things weren't going well since she wasn't in the stall.

After a little sedative we were ready to get started.

Getting started with the treatment.
Dr T had to give Lilly a little bit more sedative because she didn't want to stand still. She just isn't a very happy camper these days. I guess if I was on and off stall rest for the better part of a year I'd be tired of standing still too... just a little longer Lilly!

1500 pulses later...
Sedatives cause ponies to get sleepy.
I also asked about the best course of action as far as stall rest goes.  She said to put her wherever she stays the most quiet, which right now is the pasture.  She would be much happier with her in the stall, but the amount of pawing that mare does in the stall isn't good for anyone.  We did decide to give her a Sedivet injection, so I'll be anxious to see how Lilly does in the morning when I turn the other horses out.  It should last a month, assuming it works at all, so that would take us right to the end of January, which is hopefully when she'll be coming off stall rest.

And just because the sky looks gorgeous, here's a picture of the oak tree in my front yard.  The snow we got was really wet and heavy and covered all trees.  If the snow wasn't so dang cold it just might look pretty!

Too much snow!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! I want my good weather back!

    I am so glad you are back. I missed the updates on Lilly and AJ. I'm sorry Lilly is so restless, but like you said, who can blame her? She's had a tough year. Sounds like you and the vet have a handle on how to keep her happier now. Keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen SWT do wonders for some horses. We had a horse with a 95% tear of his suspensory. When it healed, his suspensory branch was so badly clogged with scar tissue that he couldn't feel his foot. We deemed him companion-only. His race owner was kind enough to pay for SW treatments. A few months later, he was not only sound for riding, but was cleared to ride daily and even jump. He is now a happy trail horse with an adopter. Fingers crossed for Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Terry... the best I can do is alternate months with you. You had December, so I get January. :)

    Hopefully the Sedivet will keep her happier in the stall. I keep telling her only a month longer and to rest up so she'll be all better this time.

    Thanks, Dom!! My new vet has said wonderful things about SWT as well... I wish I had tried this treatment instead of the PRP treatment my previous vet did last year. I bet we'd be a lot farther along.

    Sounds like it did wonders for your horse... I hope I have as much success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back.

    I know this all sucks for you and Lilly, but I'm learning a lot. I've never had a horse with such an injury and wouldn't even know where to start to fix one.

    Does the vet have any idea why Lilly is so prone to ligament injuries?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey SillyPony! Sedivet is a long lasting tranquilizer. Since she's supposed to be resting in the stall but isn't, we thought that might be the trick to take the edge off and keep her quiet. It should last about 30 days if it actually works.

    Thanks, Cowgirls! My friend's horse recently tore her tendon so she's been calling to get ideas and opinions. I'm glad there are folks out there who can learn from my mistakes and be more prepared if something like this should happen to a horse they know.

    Lilly had her ICLs cut on both front legs when she was just a baby because she had contracted tendons. So I guess it was just a matter of time before something went wrong. There is a lot of scar tissue from the surgery so her ligaments just aren't as stretchy as they should be.

    ReplyDelete