Monday, January 10, 2011

Change is Coming

It has been a crazy couple of days...  it seems I manage to stay very busy even though riding hasn't been part of my schedule for about 7 months.  We're getting more winter weather as well, which I am not pleased about.

M's horse, Baby, is having some hoof issues, so she's been staying inside.  This makes Lilly very happy, but makes AJ terribly sad.  He has no interest in being pastured with the geldings...  he wants his mares!  So he stands at the fence and cries for them.  No matter what I do, I can't seem to make either of my horses happy these days.

I ran into the BO at the barn this morning when I was feeding and he handed me an envelope.  It contained a memo, new barn rules, and a fee increase (effective March 1st).  Apparently, he and his wife have decided to take the farm off the market and move back in early spring.  The letter also states that they will be looking for a trainer, someone to give lessons, and a coordinator to come up with different events to have out at the barn, like shows and pony camps.  (There isn't a pony to be found anywhere on the property, but that's neither here nor there...)  I have numerous issues with much of the above mentioned info, but I'm not sure all of those things will come to fruition anyway, so I'm going to take a wait and see approach. 

Part of me wonders if he'll be a better horsey caretaker if he moves back home and runs the place more like a business.  Then the other part of me slaps that part and reminds myself about the mentality he has about horses "just being horses", which translates into "no matter what I do or don't do, the horses are going to be fine because they're just horses".  I usually just point a finger at Lilly's stall to prove to him that horses actually ARE fragile and you can't treat them like cattle.

I'm working through several scenarios in my head regarding housing for my horses, but I won't be able to make any decisions until I find out about Lilly's ligament at the end of the month.  Once I know what her future is I'll be able to make a better decision. 

11 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. It will be interesting to see what direction that barn goes. I hope it will improve, and not go the kiddie/pony/birthday party/summer camp route. In our area, it's one extreme or the other. The barns are really swank and expensive, or pretty low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in the upcoming months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much snow did you get? Memphis got THREE WHOLE INCHES! Whole city shut down.

    At least you have enough time to decide and plan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh, none of that sounds good but hopefully it will turn out okay and you won't have to deal with too much upheaval as new people come in to the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, I guess this could go either way, huh? If he gets a good trainer in there, it might be a great thing! Hopefully the fees aren't too much higher :s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone... I sure hope it doesn't turn into a little kid/pony party place. I wouldn't mind if he brought in some new folks and a trainer, but I'm wondering where all the new horses are going to go. The pastures are full as it is with the 8 horses already there.

    Fees only went up by $25, but I doubt the level of care will also increase by $25.

    Funder, we didn't really get any snow... just a dusting. But we got ice! The roads were like an ice skating rink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pony camp?! You poor soul...having to deal with THAT at a boarding barn...yuck...Oh wait, I forgot, (or maybe I was trying to block the memories) we do summer camp every year at my barn...well at least we HAVE ponies! Why pony camp? It's a lot of work...Granted, we make good money, but it's still a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good trainer could be a really good thing, especially if he/she helps with barn management and turns things for the positive. Fingers crossed that that's what will happen.

    It's never fun when the price of board goes up. At least keeping them at home, I get exactly what I pay for ;)

    As for pony camps... I dunno, I kind of like barns where there are kids around, especially kids that are really horse-crazy. It's an opportunity for you to pass on some of your horsey knowledge to the next generation (heavens knows I pestered all the adults at the barn when I was a kid!) As long as it's clear that nobody touches YOUR horses without YOUR express permission, it can be a neat thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's already a tenant at the barn living upstairs that pays a little too much attention to Lilly. He had her out of the stall walking her around one day without my permission. I am VERY protective of my horses and was not pleased about this, but at the same time didn't want to raise too much of a stink because the guy lives upstairs... he's at the barn a lot by himself and I worry about what he might do if he were ticked at me.

    I don't like people being at the barn who don't have a vested interest in the property. I love sharing my knowledge and it might be fun (depending on the children) but I hope it stays professional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go to my blog and click on "Shit Hole" as a label. That is our old barn. They do pony parties and why Animal Control doesn't shut it down is beyond me. It's sad really. 30 some horses on MAYBE 2 acres. MAYBE. It's horrible!

    Best of luck to you. I flip out to people who touch Denali without permission. I once threw a barn mom up against a stall. She walked up to Denali from behind and touched her butt while she was in the cross ties. I was unpleased, and I shouldn't say "threw" we'll say gently moved.

    www.wildponybeast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy shit hole, Denali! That place is terrible... thank goodness you were able to find a better place to move her to!!

    That's what I felt like doing to this guy... I'm not much for confrontation, and I think sometimes you can catch more flies with honey, so I very calmly explained to him that he needed to leave her alone.

    Throwing him against the wall would have been more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete