It has been a crazy couple of days... it seems I manage to stay very busy even though riding hasn't been part of my schedule for about 7 months. We're getting more winter weather as well, which I am not pleased about.
M's horse, Baby, is having some hoof issues, so she's been staying inside. This makes Lilly very happy, but makes AJ terribly sad. He has no interest in being pastured with the geldings... he wants his mares! So he stands at the fence and cries for them. No matter what I do, I can't seem to make either of my horses happy these days.
I ran into the BO at the barn this morning when I was feeding and he handed me an envelope. It contained a memo, new barn rules, and a fee increase (effective March 1st). Apparently, he and his wife have decided to take the farm off the market and move back in early spring. The letter also states that they will be looking for a trainer, someone to give lessons, and a coordinator to come up with different events to have out at the barn, like shows and pony camps. (There isn't a pony to be found anywhere on the property, but that's neither here nor there...) I have numerous issues with much of the above mentioned info, but I'm not sure all of those things will come to fruition anyway, so I'm going to take a wait and see approach.
Part of me wonders if he'll be a better horsey caretaker if he moves back home and runs the place more like a business. Then the other part of me slaps that part and reminds myself about the mentality he has about horses "just being horses", which translates into "no matter what I do or don't do, the horses are going to be fine because they're just horses". I usually just point a finger at Lilly's stall to prove to him that horses actually ARE fragile and you can't treat them like cattle.
I'm working through several scenarios in my head regarding housing for my horses, but I won't be able to make any decisions until I find out about Lilly's ligament at the end of the month. Once I know what her future is I'll be able to make a better decision.