Wednesday, January 5, 2011

SmartTendon

Lilly's new SmartPak supplement came in the mail yesterday. I decided to start her on the SmartTendon to see if it makes a difference with her ligament. It's probably not the best time to start it, but my vet didn't think it would help her when the injury initially happened.  I've decided it can't hurt.  I feel a bit at the end of my rope with options, and since she probably did re-injure it in August, she might be in danger of doing it again, or setting back any progress we might have made with the SWT treatment. I know a few ladies who use it and swear by it, so we'll see.

The bump on her leg has gone down again since the last treatment...  it's so exciting I can't stand it!!  I'm trying not to get too excited because I can't see what's on the inside, but from the looks of the outside there's progress being made!  It could just be reducing scar tissue, which I knew it would do, but hopefully it's also helping to fill in the holes.

Look!  We almost have a "normal" looking leg!  (Well, normal for Lilly anyway...)

Progress!!
Also, if you enlarge the picture, you can see the line on her hoof from the abscess. The difference in the appearance of the hoof above and below that line is so incredible! I find it fascinating! I really should get a few good pictures to post...

12 comments:

  1. The reduction in swelling is a very good sign - keeping fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be over the moon! (while trying not to get too excited) It looks fantastic! Yah! I am so happy for you! Yah again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks so good! Fingers crossed that its healing that well on the inside as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! That's xciting...! As for SmartTendon...My Vet gives Smart Tendon to one of his horses who has had suspensory issues...My Vet seems to be pleased with it, but I'm not sure his horse is...I'm always careful to mix it in well with his grain, or he won't even touch it, but then again, this particular horse is a pretty picky eater, so Lilly might be fine with it...! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I'm very anxiously awaiting the ultrasound we'll have at the end of the month. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself... but also trying to enjoy the small victories!

    Thankfully SmartPak has the SmartTendon in pellets... it costs a bit more but Lilly seems to eat anything as long as it's a pellet. Does your vet feed the powder, Mare?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, her leg looks great! Fingers crossed for an excellent ultrasound at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so exciting! Let's hope it continues to get better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!

    Abscesses looks fascinating and gross as they grow out, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having the inflammation go down is good. Fingers crossed for good news when you ultrasound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shock wave did wonders for Denali. I just wish I could have afforded more than 3 treatments. I also just started Denali on SmartRepair Ultra (Which has Smart Tendon and something for joints.) We're only a few days into it, and although it is expensive we're going to stay on it through the rehab process.

    I need to catch up on Lilly. You should write a review for us slowpokes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, he feeds it in powder...Your horse is lucky to be given the pellets! This particular horse at our barn won't even touch his grain with SmartTendon in it if it's not super mixed in!

    ReplyDelete