Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Another Good Ride

Riding has been hit or miss lately with all this rain we've been having. The next 3 days look wet as well, so I took advantage of today's sunshine and went to the barn to ride Lilly.

She gets a little better each time I take her on the trail. She still wants to hurry on the way back but after a few circles she agrees to walk, albeit very quickly. We saw a lot of wildlife today and for the first time she didn't spook when the heron flew up from the pond. I don't know if she's just getting used to the surroundings or if she's improving and getting better about being on the trail by herself.

Either way, we had a great ride today. :)

A quick note about my new irons... Today was the second day I've ridden in them and I love them more each time I ride. On the first day, right away I noticed that I could really relax my leg. Before, it seemed like there was always tension in my legs because I was straining to hold them in a certain position. Why I was doing that, I don't know, but I'm able to relax my leg without feeling any pressure on my ankles or knees, and in turn I can relax my whole body. They also have a larger base than my other irons, so it feels like there's more support and my overall position just feels more secure.

I have them turned to the 90 degree position and I haven't had any ankle or knee pain. For my first ride with these new irons, my ankles had been sore thanks to the "show from hell", but they felt really comfortable and didn't make them hurt more. The real test will be when I ride in them at a horse show, but so far they're great!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah Lilly!! Heres to better and better rides. How long has she been off her grain?

    SO glad those irons are working so well for you! They sound really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good deal. Hope things just keep getting better and better for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! That's really good news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'll let Lilly know you hope she continues to improve! :)

    Britnie, Friday will be a week since she's been off grain. I have something special happening Monday so I'm anxious to see how she acts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Isn't trail riding fun when you're riding a horse who's into it?

    I'm going to have to back read your blog and see what the deal is with those irons now.

    ReplyDelete