Thursday, March 31, 2011

Massage #2

Lilly's massage therapist came out for another visit today. It's been rainy and cold, so Lilly has been locked up in the stall for the last day and a half while I attempt to keep her shoes attached to her feet. I wasn't sure if that was going to play a part in today's massage or not.

It didn't seem to, as Lilly was a much better this time around. I think the "why is this strange lady touching me all over in ways I don't like" attitude was gone, so she seemed to enjoy it more. She didn't fall asleep or even ever really relax, but she was much more calm and didn't resist the techniques as much.

She was a little sore along her spine, and she was still showing some symptoms in her neck on the left side. Otherwise "V" was able to work the other areas until Lilly showed some kind of release.

V likes me to leave her lead rope as loose as possible so Lilly can react however necessary and move if she needs to, but Lilly being Lilly, ends up wanting to walk over here, and sniff over there. It's hard to tell if she's getting anything out of this since she hardly ever pays attention to what's actually going on.

Tomorrow is the one week anniversary of Lilly being off grain. Maybe it contributed to her behavior today!

7 comments:

  1. Have you seen any changes since Lilly's been off the grain, or is it too early to tell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's too early to tell. I think after a month I'll be able to say one way or another. That way she will have had time to come back into heat again too.

    She seemed pretty calm for such a cold, rainy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep an eye on her feet, too. My guys have huge event lines where I took them off grain. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I'll definitely keep an eye on her feet. She's had a lot of event lines lately, but I'll be curious to see how they look after a few weeks. Their feet tell us so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, the two listserves I've joined are:
    ABC-barefoot-hoofcare@yahoogroups.com and barefoothorsecare@yahoogroups.com

    You'll need to join yahoo and then ask the moderators to join the groups but I really don't think they turn anyone away.

    When you join the ABC list you should immediately check out the AA folders in the photos section. Cheryl has some incredible information there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, here' to better and better days. It's an all-consuming and sometimes frustrating process (I've been at it for nearly a year on some of my horses)...but when it starts to come together...It makes it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks smazourek! I've joined them both and am enjoying the pictures especially. I think I'll do a post on my horse's feet here shortly. I looked at them today and could very easily see the bars!

    It has definitely been frustrating, cowgirls, but I can't tell you how much I've learned in the past year!

    ReplyDelete