Thursday, April 14, 2011

Another Good Ride, But...

Lilly was tired! We must have done too much work yesterday, or I shouldn't have ridden her today, because while she was trying really hard, she just couldn't hold it together for very long. Yesterday we were doing 1 3/4 or 2 laps around the arena before she started falling apart and today we were lucky if we make it 3/4 of the way around. Even trotting she seemed to be having a difficult time.

So instead of working on the canter itself, I worked on transitions. There were a few times she rushed, but after a few 'stop, back, trot' exercises, she started to wait for the cue. Sometimes I swear she reads my mind, but I must be doing something with my body even though I'm not consciously doing anything. I don't know how else she can know what we're doing next! Today when we were coming around the corner at a trot, I thought to myself, "once we get to that pole, I'm going to prep her for the canter" and she cantered! It could be something as simple as taking a breath, but it's creepy sometimes!

We also worked on bridled bridle-less riding. I pretend she's not wearing a bridle (even though she is) and steer her around the arena with nothing but my legs and my body. She's getting really good. Today I was able to steer her all over the arena, stop her, and back her. We still can't do turns or side pass, or do it at anything but a walk, but we're working on it! :)

She was SOOO good today... she was really relaxed and hardly chomped on her bit at all.

4 comments:

  1. Cool! Yay for the bridleless backing. I canNOT get Junior to do that, which surprises me a bit. We steer around pretty good at the jog though, just as long as there are not other horses in his view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great ride, Terry! :)

    I had a tough time with Lilly on the backing too... what I've been doing is rocking my hips sideways each time I do the 'stop, back, trot' exercises and I think it started to sink in. Yesterday was the first day I got her to back without using the reins and we were successful again today.

    We're stuck at the walk for now, though... any leg at the trot and she thinks I want her to go faster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHH HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!

    "Sometimes I swear she reads my mind, but I must be doing something with my body even though I'm not consciously doing anything. I don't know how else she can know what we're doing next! Today when we were coming around the corner at a trot, I thought to myself, "once we get to that pole, I'm going to prep her for the canter" and she cantered! It could be something as simple as taking a breath, but it's creepy sometimes!"

    THIS, THIS right here is the difference between riding with INTENT and being a passenger and hoping for the best! You have started dictating EVERY move, EVERY transition, EVERY position of her body and she is respecting it. YOU ARE DRIVING!!!!! I'm SO proud!

    It does sound like she was a little sore. More transitions and focused work....less long term trotting/cantering.

    ReplyDelete