Monday, May 2, 2011

Excited About Moving!

After carefully weighing the pros and cons of the situation and everyone involved, I've decided to move Lilly once again. I really hope this will be the last time, and I'm feeling confident that Lilly and I will love it there.

I know, I also thought that about the barn from hell. You know, the barn where my horse's tail was chewed off by goats, where my horse abscessed after my instructions were ignored, where my horse reinjured her ligament and then ended up with cellulitis and dermatitis. That barn!

I've spent many hours speaking to the owner of the new barn and I've been very impressed so far. We've been very up front and honest with each other to make sure she's a good fit for me and I'm a good fit for her. She's an actual horsewoman instead of a barn owner trying to make money and has a lot of experience with just about everything. She limits the facility to 6 horses at a time so she can cater to the needs of each horse and has offered numerous suggestions about issues I'm having with Lilly. I feel that she'll be a great person to have looking after my girl because she'll truly have Lilly's best interests in mind.

All arrangements have been made and I'll be taking Lilly over Friday morning. The BO has her stall ready to go and I'm very excited to get her moved and settled in. We'll have a large arena with lights to ride in (about 3 times the size of my current ring), a 60 foot round pen to play in, and Lilly will have an open, airy stall with a fan for the summer. All the pastures have incredible run-in sheds (more like barns without doors) and all the fencing is white vinyl. It's a lovely place. I'll make sure to take some pictures of the facilities on Friday to post.

M will not be coming with us, so that is the only down side to this new adventure. I am looking forward to Lilly being split from Baby, though, and not being pastured with anymore mares. The new barn has nothing but geldings, so we'll find one Lilly gets along with and that'll be her new buddy. She doesn't get attached to geldings like she does mares, so I'm hoping that will eliminate a lot of the issues I've been having with her lately. There's a show on Saturday that M won't be going to and I'm planning to take Lilly there to ride her around and see how we fare on our own.

I have a lot of reasons for moving, but I won't bother to get into specifics here. They'll be moot in a few days and I'd rather look ahead to Friday.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good situation - good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm happy for you and Lilly. May this be the start of many happy times for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this place works out well for you and Lilly. My horses have been in a bad boarding situation too and it really, truly stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new place sounds beautiful. I hope it works out and can't wait to see picture's of the place! The new BO sounds like she knows what she is doing and Lilly will be well taken care of. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! I'm hoping this is the place. I'm ready to be done moving around in search of a place that has my horse's best interests at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great place. I hope you finally find the right situation for you and your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bad boarding situation is never fun - I really hope this one works out fabulously for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! And may Lilly only dine upon SafeChoice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! I too am crossing my fingers, but it seems you really have done your homework on this one. I have found smaller personable barns to be my favorites. :) Good luck and cant wait to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, I feel your pain about moving...I hate moving! But, sounds like the new place is an ideal situation for you and Miss Lilly. I have been at bigger barns too, but now both my horses are at smaller facilities (10 horses at one place, 5 at the other) and I have to say they both have the best care I've ever found. Good luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete