Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Show Preparations Are Under Way

I did a lot of running around today to get ready for the show this weekend. Aside from laundry and some packing, I stopped into the local Wally-World to get some thinning shears to try and do something with Lilly's mop. While I was there, I picked up an old school lint brush that will hopefully un-crush the velvet on my hunt cap. Then it was off to my favorite little feed store that seems to have a little bit of everything. I went ahead and bought Lilly another Cashel fly mask, but this one has the ears on it. Once she's clipped for the show she'll really need one with ears. I also bought her the Cashel Quiet Ride mask for our time in the arena. I could have used Lilly's regular fly mask for riding but the view is a whole lot better in the Quiet Ride. I decided to splurge. What's money for if it isn't for spending on Lilly?

From there I went to the barn to check on Lilly and start preparations for this weekend. I like to clip her and shorten her mane a few days ahead of time in case I make any mistakes... they tend to fade within a few days and no one is any the wiser. I only had time to do her mane, head and ears, and both front legs. The rest will have to wait until tomorrow. I must say, she looks super cute already.

When I first got there, she was way in the back of the pasture, about as far away from the boys as she could get. When I called her and showed her the carrot in my hand, she lazily made her way toward the gate. I practically had to drag her into the barn and she stood stock still for the entire grooming session. I think she's finally settled in and is comfortable with the way things are.

And (Alex, you'd be proud) I've been making her walk a few steps behind me whenever I'm leading her anywhere and she has been doing really well. Sometimes she forgets and wants to steam roll past me but I shake the lead and she very quickly stops, waiting for me to get in front again before walking off. If I stop and she happens to get too close, she'll automatically back out of my space. Such a good girl. :)

We've been working on this because Lilly is always in a big hurry and has a desire to be in my lap when we're walking somewhere. I need her close to me for showmanship, but I'm trying to teach her the difference between that and when we're just walking from point A to point B. She tends to get in front of me sometimes and I'm trying to reinforce to her that I'm the leader. In essence, I'm saying, "you stay back there and follow me... I'm the leader."

I know I keep saying this, but I love my new barn! After so much crap, and so many barns, it feels good to be at this one. It's so peaceful... I find myself being goofy when it's just me and Lilly there. I realized today that I'm just happy, and it feels so good!

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear that things are going so well at the new barn! Sounds like Lilly is liking it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you are so happy about your new barn!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work with the leading! It sounds like your new barn is a good place - otherwise she wouldn't be so relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the sentence about the reason for $$$, so true!!! Good luck at the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Lilly has settled in so quickly - sounds like you guys are having a really wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for being happy in the new barn!!!

    Good luck at the show!

    PS- I've made learned more about grain vs. hay feeding and nutrition. In short- your hay might not have all the nutrition your horse needs. Check out http://www.safergrass.org/pdf/minerals.pdf and http://www.safergrass.org/pdf/mydiet.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything keeps going well. But it sounds like this BO 'gets it'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just wonderful that you and Lilly are happy at your new barn. Yay!!! Best of luck at the show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of COURSE I'm proud of you!!! It sounds like you are both doing wonderful at the new barn!! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love, love, love it here! Everything is going great and Lilly seems to love it as much as I do.

    Smazourek, I'm definitely going to check out those links! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete