Friday, May 13, 2011

The Trot is Progressing!

Hmmm... looks like Blogger ate all the comments from my last post. At least the post is there, and supposedly the comments will eventually make their way back.

The BO and I have decided to add a little bit of Purina Ultium to Lilly's alfalfa pellets to see if that makes them more appealing to her. It's lower in NSCs than the SafeChoice, so I'm open to trying it. So far, so good, but I wonder how long it will last. The vet that comes to check on the yearling every day was hand grazing him while I was there and I was trying to get some free advice about the feeding issue and the potential for ulcers. She's been able to observe Lilly for the past week because she checks on the yearling at least 3 times per day (can you imagine that vet bill?) and she said she's impressed with how she's settled in from the first time she saw her. She doesn't seem to be very concerned about her having ulcers. Other than the food issues, she doesn't exhibit any other symptoms and since she's never been a big eater she's not sure that's really a symptom. One of these days I might have to have her scoped just for my own peace of mind.

I rode Lilly today in her new fly mask. I think she liked it because she didn't shake her head at all, despite the fact that there were flies and gnats everywhere around her face. She seemed a little irritated by my constant request for her to be soft. In Lilly's universe "soft" meant "trot" for some reason. So we had to spend a bit of time on that but she finally gave in and started working nicely. She was quite forward today as well, and we had one cannon explosion transition, but I made her do it again and the second time was much better. I've been working on slow, slow, slow because getting her to move out is a lot easier than getting her to slow down. Her trot today was beautiful! I'm not sure we could pull it off with only one hand in western tack, but we're making progress.

After our ride I hosed her down and worked on her tail. It really needed to be conditioned and trimmed. I cut about 3" from the bottom of her tail... it was painful, but it needed to be done. It's really starting to look nice, though. Hopefully she doesn't rub it too much during fly season this year.

3 comments:

  1. At the show on Sunday I had to cut about 4" off the bottom of Junior's tail so it would match the extension. So I sympathize. My only other option would be to hand the tail lower but then we're risking it getting stepped on or worse; having the extension be obvious.
    My first time putting it in by myself and even my barn mate didn't realize he had one in.

    I'm so glad she's settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your new barn. A BO who cares, and frequent visit from a vet, a good arena to ride in, it sounds like heaven to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment that got eaten was, if she's not eating the alfalfa pellets, how about trying actual alfalfa? It's better for them - stemmier and all, and since your BO is easy to work with, hopefully she wouldn't mind giving it. Also if Lilly gets supplements she needs to eat, you might try mixing them in with a handful of (soaked, unmolassesed) beet pulp. Stuff sticks to it just great, and after the initial skepticism, my horses quite like it.

    ReplyDelete