Wednesday, June 22, 2011

More Bareback Riding

Yesterday we were engulfed in smoke from some wildfires along the coast and the air quality was terrible. I couldn't breathe very well just watering my plants, so I knew riding was out of the question. Today we had blazing hot temperatures, but I was determined to ride anyway. Lilly seemed pretty comfortable in her stall, so I wasn't worried too much about the heat.

After I was done brushing Lilly, I tried to get her to do the belly and pelvic exercises. For the belly lifts, her sweet spot is really far back on her belly but she was lifting it really well. I could not get her to do the pelvic tucks, though. We'll have to work on those.

I took her to the round pen to do some more bareback riding. Although I opted to go bridleless again, I did use the rope halter so I could work on her being soft. I sat up on the gate to see if I could convince her to let me on and she walked right over to me on the first try! She was nice and parallel with the gate and stood stock still so I could slide onto her back. What a good girl!

We did our usual warm-up and then worked on whoa hunting at the walk and trot. She started out quite fast at the trot, but slowed down after a fair number of stops. She was a lot better about staying on the rail, so that was helpful, and I'm really learning how to use my legs and my seat more without my bridle. It's pretty amazing what she'll do for me!

It was also really easy to get her soft in the halter, but doesn't stay soft as long as she does in the bridle. I'm not sure if she doesn't think she has to, or if she just can't going in a small-ish circle inside the round pen.

I decided I'd try a canter or two before I took her back to the barn. Her transitions were beautiful and I was able to keep balanced a lot better than I did on Monday. (Monday was a bit embarrassing...) Lilly stayed on the rail and didn't cut to the inside, which helped me tremendously.

It was definitely a good ride!! I was quite impressed with her today. :)

Oh, and my new gullet came today, so I'm going to switch that out tomorrow and see how the saddle fits. The difference between the two gullets is only a half centimeter, but that might be all it takes to relieve any pressure she was feeling on her shoulders. Or, it might not even be the gullet but rather the sore spots on her back that were causing us grief. One never knows where horses are concerned.

6 comments:

  1. wtc bareback, you should be impressed with yourself too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a super fun ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Terry! I hope my skills improve the more I ride bareback. :)

    Jenj, it was a lot of fun! I think Lilly likes it too. By the way, I still can't comment on your blog. :( The pictures of Cash are hilarious, though! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very jealous you are riding bareback. I'm too scared to do it because the only 2 times I've tried (and had very surprisingly nice rides) I spend the next 2-3 days with terrible lower back pain, unable to ride or do much else. I even spent a few months without stirrups (western saddle) before hand. I don't know why that happened but now I'm too scared to try again.

    You go, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a bummer, SillyPony... I wonder why it causes such an issue with your lower back?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great ride :)

    ReplyDelete