Monday, July 11, 2011

Tail Bags and Heat

It's been a while since I've updated! There's not much to update, though, unfortunately. There have been some changes at work and I've had to cover extra shifts and even a few of the overnight shifts. I don't do well when I have to work all night...

Because of my work schedule, there have been quite a few days where I wasn't able to visit Lilly. On the days I had off this past weekend, the weather did not cooperate and all I could do was visit, but not ride. It's either been way too hot to ride, or the unsettled atmosphere creates some nasty thunderstorms. We're on track for more record temperatures this week, with heat indexes of more than 100 degrees.

There was a small crisis at the barn this past weekend, but thankfully Lilly is ok and I hope I was able to communicate my concerns with the BO without hurting any feelings. Long story short, one day I took off Lilly's tail bag because the new one I just got ripped no less than a week after I bought it. Her tail was sticking out the side so I figured it was pointless to leave it on. The BO's hubby found a spare one in the tack room and put her tail back up for me. The problem was, he tied the tail bag around her tailbone. Luckily it wasn't super tight, but it was definitely too snug and I was terrified that her tail was going to fall off.

I immediately contacted the BO and told her what had happened as nicely as I possibly could. She was almost as upset as I was and apologized profusely. She doesn't use tail bags and didn't check how her husband had tied the bag, so she felt just as much at fault. She said she would talk with her husband about it and I asked them to not worry about Lilly's tail bags at all in the future.

I'm not mad at either of them (not sure how I'd feel if Lilly had no tail, though) because for once someone was trying to do something nice for me. Thankfully Lilly's tail is fine...

Hope everyone is doing well!

8 comments:

  1. That heat sounds nasty.
    Oops! Glad Lilly still has a tail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please excuse my ignorance: What is a tailbag for? Obviously I know you put the tail in it, I just don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH! That could have been REALLY bad, thank goodness you caught it. And I hear ya about the heat, we are in the same boat, its been miserable!! And not much relief in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I'm happy to hear that Lilly's tail is no worse for wear! It was sweet of the BO's husband for looking out for you like that, but hopefully he knows now to leave well enough alone and call you next time her bag comes off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smaz, I use a tailbag to keep Lilly's tail clean and to protect it from things it can get tangled on. While she hasn't been much of a show horse here lately, keeping her tail up keeps it looking nice and keeps her from ripping the hairs out on her bucket and stuff.

    And yes, thank goodness she still has a tail!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it the pits...We all look forward to summer so much and then when it gets here...

    We seem to be getting our 'monsoons' early. Not a lot of rain at my house, but the storms blow up quickly, repeatedly and there is a lot of lightening. I hate to get to far from the house, so my riding time has been curtailed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is my worst nightmare. I only make them, but I'm so afraid that someone will do it wrong and the tail will fall off. I know I'd feel resposible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a friend who put her gelding's tail up using the vetrap method. She went away for the weekend and asked that he be kept in while she was away (she managed his turnout herself because he was hard to catch). Well, the barn manager thought she knew better and put him out anyway. Unfortunately, as predicted, she couldn't catch him, and he ended up staying out all night. The bugs were really bad and the poor guy literally beat his tail off. Everything that had been in that little braided and vetrap'd packet was gone. Took years to grow back. So yeah, don't take another person's horse's tail into your own hands. :(

    ReplyDelete