Monday, August 15, 2011

AJ Picture Spam

AJ finally seems to be improving! For the first time since this all started, he's shown an interest in his grain and ate about half of what he's normally fed. He's still drinking really well and keeping himself fairly hydrated and his manure is starting to look a lot more normal. So far there's no heat in his hooves and no other indications of laminitis, so I hope we have avoided that. He got his last dose of injected antibiotics tonight, but he'll be on the SMZs for 7 more days. Thank you so much for all the well wishes you sent his way!

Some of the people we have spoken to who have dealt with PHF said their horses lost 200-300 pounds before all was said and done, but AJ is keeping his weight so far, which I am very thankful for. It took so long to get weight back on him that it would be quite a setback to have him lose it all again.

When the vet was out Saturday night she had to double check with my dad that AJ was really 25. She said she thought perhaps the paperwork was supposed to say 15 instead of 25. She couldn't get over how good he looked for his age. He looks amazing and my parents have been able to cut back the amount of grain he gets.

I'm finally starting to relax a bit, so I thought I would post some of the pictures I took while I was home visiting. Doesn't he look fantastic?









It's amazing how well AJ and my dad's horse Justus get along. Sure they pin their ears at each other here and there, but for the most part they really enjoy being with each other. When I had AJ out to ride, poor Justus was upset that we were taking away his buddy so he kept a close eye on AJ all the time.

My dad's horse, Justus.

9 comments:

  1. Oh no! I've been offline, and I'm so sorry to hear that AJ hasn't been well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Terry. Poor AJ has Potomac Horse Fever, but I think we might finally be in the clear. I hope Ben is feeling better soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad AJ is starting to feel a bit better - he sure is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, he is so freaking cute!!! He has one of those very kissable noses, doesn't he?

    I'm so glad to hear that you've possibly escaped the worst of PHF. It's a nasty, nsaty bugger, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, what a handsome boy! I'm glad to hear that he's finally feeling better, and I hope he has a super-speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw gee-I haven't spent much time on the computer for a few days...Glad to hear you and your parents got AJ's PHF caught so quickly and he is on the road to recovery.

    I see you got Lilly's shoes pulled. Interesting to read about the different shoe thickness/knee height. My aunt and uncle had a mare they wanted me to look at because they didn't think she was running right (a green barrel horse). The mare had been shod with a hind shoe on one of her front feet. The farrier had just bent the trailers in and was crunching her heels, so she was shorter strided on that side. Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kate! I think he's as sweet as he is lovely. :)

    Jill, why yes he does! He likes to be smooched right on his little pink snip. I've heard some horror stories about PHF and I am SO thankful AJ pulled through without any of those issues.

    Thanks, Jen! It breaks my heart when any of my babies are sick, but AJ is a very special boy.

    Cowgirl, thank you! It's definitely a good thing that we caught it so fast... and now we'll know the symptoms if there's a next time (but I sure hope not). Regarding Lilly, I couldn't believe I had never noticed the knee height difference before! It was definitely obvious and I wish that was something I could have shown to my farrier! It's pretty bad when a farrier deliberately puts a hind shoe on a front hoof... that's just crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks gorgeous!! I think Daisy will look that good at his age too, she is 21 and you'd swear she was the reverse of her age too! (12). Love the pics, and sooo glad he is better!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! I've heard bad things about that disease. I sure hope he kicked it without any lingering issues.

    ReplyDelete