Monday, November 7, 2011

Too Early (Or Late) For A Show?

It's been impossible to ride the past few days. We've had quite a bit of rain and the arena doesn't drain very well, so about half of it is under water. Today was beautiful and I couldn't wait to ride, so we found the driest spots and made due.

Even though Lilly is wearing casts, I still use her boots when I ride. Hopefully that will help the casts last a bit longer, especially since I'm starting to see some wear on the toes. I assume that means she's still doing quite a bit of toe first landing.

We had another really nice ride today. We did some basic trot work and quite a bit of cantering, along with some transitions and it all went really well. She had a brief moment of panic when she couldn't quite switch gears into the canter, but I didn't make a big deal of it and we went back to the walk. When she still seemed on edge, anticipating the canter transition, we took a "time out" (a long and low circle) and she was back to being focused. She's made so much progress with that and I'm thrilled with how quickly she can let it go and settle. I also put a few poles out and worked her over those a bit... let's just say we need to work on poles a lot.

I'm also happy to report that my "emergency break" has finally been installed. It was taking her a while to pick up on my not-so-subtle cue, but now she'll stop without any help from the reins or my voice... and when I say stop, I mean instant WHOA. (Alex, you'd be proud! She's really tucking her caboose!) Today she flawlessly executed it numerous times at each gait. Hopefully I can refine the cue a bit, but I'm just thrilled she's got it.

I'm really considering a trace clip this year. Hopefully we'll be doing a lot of work this winter and I think it would be a huge benefit for us. I'm still pondering...

Enjoying the sunshine.
There's a show on the 19th that I'm seriously considering. If the weather looks nice and I'm allowed to show Lilly in her boots (unless the casts make it until then) I'll probably haul down there. I would do showmanship (of course) and some hunt seat classes. It's the last show of the season, so maybe we could win a ribbon or two. :)

9 comments:

  1. Who makes Lilly's blanket? It looks sooo good on her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I'm not sure. I'll have to look, but I must say that the front of it drives me crazy. The Velcro won't stay fastened, so her chest is bare 90% of the time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love just the neck part of a trace clip. I feel like it gives the horse good cooling along those big veins, but doesn't chill her so bad when she's not working.

    Ooh, I hope you get to go to another show! I'm so excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, a show! You should TOTALLY go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be great if you could attend another show!! Going to all the shows I go to makes me want to show again so bad! That's probably the hardest part of going to all these shows, besides being away from home for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH you need to get video of your cool stop! I've always loved a sharp, crisp stop. And booty tuck is an added bonus!
    Hope you get to go to the show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I'm proud of you!! I can't wait to see her stop!

    I think you should go and school. It will be a fun change for both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that would be cool, only a few weeks out of shoes and showing already!

    ReplyDelete