Anyways, back to the Great Trim... I learned a lot today:
- I have never used "hoof trimming muscles" in my life and I dread how my arms are going to feel tomorrow.
- Even though the temperature says 45 degrees, dressing like it's actually 35 degrees and then trimming hooves is a bad idea. It got a little toasty under all those layers!!
- Just because I can see that it needs to be trimmed, and I understand how and why I need to trim it, doesn't mean I'll actually be able to figure out how to get my hoof knife in there and make it happen.
- If I'm going to do this sort of thing with any amount of frequency, I desperately need a hoof stand!
Of course I took "after" pictures of her hooves, and now that I'm looking at them, I can see some areas that need more work. It's amazing what you can see in pictures that you can't see with your naked eye. I tried to take a "less is more" approach today, though, because I would much rather have to go back and take more off, rather than have her sore. So without further adieu, here is my handy work! Normally I would ask that you go easy on me, but that's no way to learn!
Left Front Hoof:
Right Front Hoof:
I can see that I left more heel on her right front than I did on her left front. With both hooves, I was trying to keep the heels just above frog level, but I think I need to take more heel off... or did I take too much off the left hoof? I'm also curious about the heel buttress area of her hoof because it seems so BIG. Here's a closeup of her right hoof:
There's that whole flat area that I figured is considered part of her heel, but in the typical horse, is there that much of a platform, or will all of that "migrate" back as her new hoof capsule grows in and we get her heels underneath her?
I also notice that I didn't do a very good job rolling the toe on her right hoof, and I wish I could have backed up the toe a bit. The bucket hoof stand just wasn't cutting the mustard. I didn't touch any part of her sole that I didn't think was bar, and I did nothing with her toe callus. Hopefully the hoof walls are at an acceptable height too... After the trim, I took her outside and walked her around on the concrete. She was very comfortable and not short at all, so I'm hoping this is considered a partial success, with more work to do in the near future.
It took me over 2 hours and I didn't even do a whole lot on her rear hooves! I only trimmed the bars and did a little bit of heel and hoof wall rasping. I guess I'm not ready for prime time yet. :)
I'm looking forward to your comments!