Friday, January 13, 2012

Five Months Barefoot

My trimmer was out yesterday for what amounted to Lilly's three and a half week trim. I just trimmed Lilly back on December 18th, but I really wanted her to get a professional trim and it was my trimmer's day to be in town. Her first appointment wasn't home and the appointment after me cancelled, so I took full advantage of the extra time!

She graciously showed me how to sharpen my hoof knife and it became clear rather quickly that I need a new sharpener and a hoof knife upgrade. Save Edge has a really nice diamond sharpener that worked wonders on my cheap-o hoof knife and I must have one! She also gave me a left handed knife and another rasp. Thank you, thank you!!

We chatted a bit about the hoof clinic coming up on February 19th. I'm taking Lilly and really looking forward to it! I've got a list of things I need to buy before then and one item on that list is a hoof stand. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Hoofjack hoof stand.

Isn't it dreamy?
I need to get it in plenty of time for the clinic because my horse was an ass yesterday and we need to practice... yep, my horse was an ass! She took no pity on the fact that I had an expert trimmer with me who was willing to show me how to trim. She was rather impatient and you could set your stopwatch to her poor behavior.

"Ok, mom... you've got 30 second until I yank my foot away. I hope you can get those bars done in time! Ready? GO!"

She was even worse when I tried to put her foot on the stand to work on the walls and give her a nice roll. She kept doing doing her best impression of a downward dog yoga pose. To be fair, we did work on her for quite a while (because I'm slow), but she just needs to deal with it. The clinic will last ALL DAY, so today was nothing compared to what's coming up. We eventually took her out of the cross ties and put her in the barn aisle with just the lead rope and halter. That way, when she decided to yank her hoof off the stand and go backward, we could help her become an overachiever and back her all the way down the aisle. She decided after one trip down the aisle that she was cool with the hoof stand. She hung her head down and stood completely still, sulking. We finished up her hooves without another incident!

She's definitely not a good demo horse, but hopefully I can work with her between now and then so she learns to stand. I don't want to be the girl with the poorly behaved horse. I'm going to have an amazing opportunity to learn and I don't want it hindered by Miss Impatient. She is always so good! I know she can be better than she was yesterday!

The plan was for me to watch my trimmer do a front and rear hoof, then I was going to do a front and rear hoof. Because Lilly was such a turd, I only did the right front hoof, and I received a lot of help. Technique is key, and I learned a lot about that, which will help me out so much in the future.

We decided against the EasyBoot Glue-Ons we had been talking about for a number of reasons. Mostly it's because she is doing great as is, so there isn't a need to change things. Plus, I want to be able to see her hooves and ride her in the boots, and she hasn't been sore or gimpy on her right front in a long time. My trimmer said she can tell Lilly's soles have thickened since we started this adventure and her heels look better every time she comes out.

Here are the before and after photos from yesterday...

Left Front Hoof:

Before
After
Before
After
Before
After

Right Front Hoof (this is the hoof I trimmed, along with lots of help from my trimmer):

Before
After
Before
After
Before
Before

And to put everything in perspective, here is Lilly's left front hoof on September 8th of last year, and January 12th of this year... 4 months later.

Amazing!!

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh, jealous of your new toys! If you're going to get a hoof stand, a hoof jack is definitely the way to go. Her hooves look so much better! I'm so happy for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, learning how to trim yourself!

    Take a look at those last two photos you posted side by side- specifically at the heels. Can you see how the dip between the heel bulbs has filled in since September? That's her digital cushion getting stronger! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daaang, look at how much rounder her foot is and how much her heel has moved back! Sweet!

    I see two event lines on her foot... one must be from the shoes coming off (I'm thinking the lower one), but what is the other one from? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for the pretty feet!

    OMG you had me CRINGING on her bad foot behavior! We can fix that ;)

    Just remember there is no difference in WHERE you and the horse are when you control the feet...in the round pen, on a lead rope, ridden, tied, or working on feet....it boils down to the same thing...controlling the feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we could help her become an overachiever and back her all the way down the aisle

    ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing difference!!!

    Lilly has 'pretty' feet now....and much more functional!

    ReplyDelete