Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A New Saddle!

Alex and I had quite an adventure yesterday! She's horse shopping for a friend, so I rode along so I could ride a couple horses and try to learn a thing or two. I haven't been horse shopping in about 10 years, and I don't get an opportunity very often to ride horses other than Lilly, so I thought it would be fun. We tried a couple different horses and then looked around the tack shop

I found a sweet little buckskin mare that I wanted to bring home with me, but Alex wouldn't let me... she was a bit underweight and Alex said she was only sweet because she was hungry. So I didn't buy any new horses... :(

We did, however, find a saddle for me to buy!! We went to a saddle shop, and after looking all over the store finding nothing, Alex spotted a cutting saddle in the back. It belonged to the owner of the store and wasn't for sale, but it was the EXACT same saddle that Alex has and I had to have it! What are the odds of finding the exact same saddle?? The only thing different about it was the height of the horn, but everything else matched up exactly. So after a little bit of begging, the girl at the store called the owner and he said he'd let me have it for $250. SOLD!!

It needs some TLC and a lot of oil, but I finally have a western saddle to ride in, that I know is going to fit my picky mare. Here it is before I went to work cleaning it up:

Dirty and thirsty!
I worked on it all night and got it looking pretty good, but I'm going to have to oil it a lot to get the leather nice and soft. I'm going to get some new stirrups for it and I think it'll be perfect.

Here it is this morning after some elbow grease and lots of oil:

Making progress!!
It's definitely not a show saddle, and I won't be able to show in it at an APHA show, but it'll work perfectly at the local shows we're showing at this year. I'm super excited to have a western saddle for my newly western-ized pony, and you can't beat that price!!

14 comments:

  1. WOW hardly looks like the same saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I wish I had such luck with finding a saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh congrats! I love well-used old saddles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We see saddles like that in the ring at APHA shows on winning horses in the open classes. I wouldn't object to using it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool...

    Ummm...I have that saddle too. (grins)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH!! What a steal too!! $250 really?! Its beautiful, I love the look of a well used (loved) saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. $250? I'm switching to Western, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayyyy!!!!! How perfect! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Want to find one for me now? $250 was a steal of a deal! And if it fits your horse you'll be fine showing APHA in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind is it? Dakota? Congrats. Hope it works well for you and Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! I'm super excited about having this saddle, and the price was exactly what I was hoping for. :)

    Cowgirl, no way!! You have this same saddle too!

    Rebecca, yep, it's a Dakota saddle. We looked at some of the new ones and they just don't seem as nice as the older ones like this one.

    The APHA shows I've been to around here must be different than the ones you guys go to. Everyone rides in nothing but BLING, although I suppose I could go into the class anyway and see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The APHA shows I've been to around here must be different than the ones you guys go to. Everyone rides in nothing but BLING, although I suppose I could go into the class anyway and see what happens."


    Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That saddle doesn't look bad at all! And what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daaang, $250 for that nice thing? SCORE!

    Question for you on the oiling - what do you to for the suede seat? My husband's jousting saddle has a suede seat that could use some love, but I've never had a saddle with any suede on it before so I'm at a complete loss as to what to do for it. Also, what's your saddle oil/conditioner of choice? Whatever you used did a bang-up job on that thing!

    ReplyDelete