Monday, February 13, 2012

Playing in the Round Pen

I haven't spent much time in the round pen lately, but since I'm trying to keep things interesting for Lilly, I decided to work her in there for a change.

Normally I can't seem to get any pictures because as soon as I lift the camera to my face, she stops doing whatever it is I ask her to do. I decided to try being sneaky today and just hang the camera around my neck and "shoot from the hip" so to speak. Some of the pictures turned out nice and some of them showed only a headless horse. It's a good thing I snapped a lot of them!

She is always quite well behaved in the round pen... I think she listens better than most children I know (and I know many). I can point in the direction I want her to go and she goes, I can trot with my own feet and she'll trot, and when I ask her to canter, she doesn't take off like a bat out of hell anymore. She gave me beautiful transitions and a wonderful, relaxed LOPE in both directions. :)

Pretty lope!
It looked so effortless for her for a change. She seemed really balanced and enjoyed a nice lope around the round pen. Even her jog was nice and a couple times she stretched down and looked quite pretty.

Moving out without looking strung out!
I managed to get this shot of her sticking her tongue out while she was loping. Could this mean she was relaxed enough that she wasn't clenching her jaw for a change?

Too funny!
Can anyone see her muscles yet?! Or is the dreaded white coat still hiding them? I think she looks amazing! :) With all this work, I'm surprised she isn't losing weight. She's only still being fed hay, 2 lbs of beet pulp per day, and supplements.

Looking more like a fit cow pony every day!
After the work part of the day was over, we played a bit. Before I put her halter back on, we worked on our halterless showmanship pattern. She did excellent! Then I put her halter back on, sat on the gate, and asked her to get close enough to the gate for me to hop on. It took a couple tries, but she eventually complied and I rode her around bareback for a bit. When I was done riding, I had her side-pass back to the gate to let me off.

It was a lot of fun. :)

Oh, and look what the UPS guy brought me today! It's awesome and I can't wait to try it out!

Hoofjack!!
Trim clinic is in five days! So much to do and pack, and I still have a few things I need to buy!

3 comments:

  1. WOW look how relaxed she looks!! She looks amazing and quiet.

    I'm proud of you for riding bareback!!





    alexandappleshow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good girl, Lilly. Good girl, Becca.
    Nice hoofjack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Lookit those muscles!! Before you even asked I was looking at her loping pictures and was like she is getting so FIT! Great job!
    And I like your new little 'toy'!

    ReplyDelete