Alex was out in my neck of the woods today to help my friend with some issues she was having with her horse. Since I have been bragging about Lilly's lope, she wanted me to show her just how much progress we've made since the last time she was out. She had also seen my video from the other day and wanted to offer some suggestions for our lead changes!
I had to go to work that afternoon, so we didn't have as much time as we normally do, but I never turn down help from Alex!
Because of the issues I had with Lilly and the bit on Friday, I switched her back to the snaffle. I don't like training her in the shank bit, so for now I'm going to stick with the snaffle. We started off opening the gate, and then I did some jogging to get Lilly warmed up.
When it was time to lope, Lilly's transitions were excellent, just like they were at the show. She got her leads and loped around nice and collected. Next I started working on some lead changes. Some of them were good, and some of them were not so good, but that's pretty much how they've been going since I started working on them. I'm doing all I can to communicate with Lilly as to what she needs to do for the change, but she was getting a bit rushy and was still bringing her head way up.
After a number of attempts, Alex wanted to hop on and see how things felt. She ended up working mostly on keeping Lilly soft, and never quite made it to the lead changes. She wanted to know why Lilly suddenly had 10-15lbs of weight attached to her front end.
I'm sure I don't know! ;)
She gave me back a really sweaty mare with strict instructions on what I need to do. She said Lilly felt really strong, looked really good, and just continues to make progress, but apparently I've been working so hard on getting the feet, that I lost the softness we had. Now that I've got the feet, I need to bring back the soft and put it all together!