Thursday, April 26, 2012

Adequan Shot Numero Uno!

My vet was out today to give Lilly the last of her vaccines, flu/rhino, and to start her on Adequan. Lilly was very good for both of her shots, which I am grateful for. She used to be quite opposed to being stuck with needles, but she's come a long way.

I discussed the Adequan with her some more (she's probably tired of all my questions!) and we developed a bit of a "game plan". Since Adequan works to heal damaged cartilage, a process which takes time, potentially up to eight weeks, I'm going to give it plenty of time to work. That's first and foremost...

However, because I obsess over the future and need a plan just in case... I pressed her for more details.

She said there are some anti-inflammatory effects that occur right away from the Adequan injection, but it is minor and not reliable for soundness. Even though there are healing properties to it, she thinks of Adequan as more of a preventative than anything else. So if the Adequan seems to help her during our daily workouts but Lilly still shows a bit of discomfort at the shows, that's where the Legend injections would come in. Legend acts as a lubricant and mild anti-inflammatory but the duration of this effect is only two to seven days, so she recommends giving the injection on the Thursday before a big show.

Adequan is our long term plan to make sure Lilly's joints are the best they can be, and the Legend injections would be our band aid until which time they aren't needed. Hopefully with proper Adequan usage, if we did need to supplement with a Legend injection here and there, it would be a short term deal as the Adequan does its job.

My vet thinks the Adequan alone is going to work really well for Lilly, but said she is most likely going to recommend giving another series of Adequan every spring before my show season gets going.

So work your magic ye olde Adequan shot!!

I was hoping to ride after all the poking was over but a nasty storm blew through and made sure that wasn't the case. I did take her out to the round pen and work her a bit to get the blood flowing, so to speak. I also wanted to see how she moves so I can compare as we progress with the Adequan.

Afterwards, I made her stand and look pretty for pictures. You can't see them in the picture, but when I was working her in the round pen, I could see dapples on the white parts of her body!

I can't get over how gorgeous she is. :)
She might not enjoy all the crazy things I do to her, but she tolerates them well, and I love her for it. I don't know what I'd do without her.

7 comments:

  1. She looks beautiful! I can see the dapples in her darker coat. I've never seen her coat so dark, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. I could just stare at those dappled spots allllll day. LOVE THEM!

    Cash thinks she's pretty hot too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big fan of Adequan here too.

    Lovely photo of Lilly - she's ge-orgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone... and keep your fingers crossed for the Adequan! :)

    ReplyDelete