Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Adequan To The Rescue?

The weather this weekend was crap... I wasn't sure if it was December or April! Sunday it never got out of the 40's and we received just enough rain to keep me from being able to ride. I even had to bring Lilly inside and thought very hard about getting out the sheet I just put away for the summer. Hopefully now we can officially kick off spring!

Today was still fairly cool, but at least the sun was out. Lilly looked extra gorgeous because she's finally all shed out, minus a few random goat hairs holding on for dear life. I really need to take some good pictures before the sun steals all her color.

I spoke with my vet yesterday and we set up a time for her to come out on Thursday and give Lilly her flu/rhino vaccine. I hope to show her on Sunday, so I didn't want to do it too close to the weekend in case she's sore or feels a little dumpy. We discussed the Adequan a bit more and I decided to go ahead and do it. Because of the original diagnosis back in January, not to mention the little things I've been noticing lately when I ride, she needs something. She's not eating the Cosequin, so even if it was going to make a difference, it can't even get into her system. The Adequan seems like my best best, so she'll get shot number one on Thursday.

The last couple times I've ridden her and actually had her do some work more serious than our fun bareback rides, she has felt a bit off when I loped her on her right lead. I had a difficult time getting her to collect, and during our transitions she really wanted to pop her head. I wasn't really feeling a true three beat lope and it was worse the more I ask her to collect. She wasn't stiff or lame, but it was a struggle for her to do it right. Contrast that to her left lead lope and transitions, which are beautiful.

This is the first year we've really done some serious work. I think I've loped her more in the past couple months than I have her entire life, so hopefully the Adequan will be just what she needs to feel better.

I rode today and she felt way better than she did the last time I rode her. She had a few days off because of the weather, so I'm not sure if that helped or if she was just having a good day. It's possible that the footing in the arena makes a difference too, so I'm trying to be mindful of that. Today it was fairly squishy because of all the rain, where prior to our ride today it was more compact and dry.

She was able to give me a fairly decent lope on her right lead, but her transition was still a bit rough. If I really get on her about staying soft, she'll do it, but I know she would do it on her own if she could. Because I know her and I know her personality, I have to imagine that it bothers her or she would have right lead transitions that match her left lead transitions.

Now that I've finally decided to do the Adequan, I'm excited to see if it makes a difference for her.

5 comments:

  1. I'm hoping for a great result for Miss Lilly.
    "Extra gorgeous" - I like that!
    Best of luck at the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This NC weather is crazy! Wilby's had to wear his blanket the past three nights, and we worked more on our large fast circles today then our slow ones {ifyouknowwhatimean}, it was chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the Adequan works for Lilly. I didn't have any sucess with it last summer for Brandy. I am sure it has to work for some horses!
    Your weather sounds like the weather we usually have around here! But the last few weekends have been gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you and me both kiddo...or should I say Lilly and Moon both...

    Moon was positive in his flex tests today, so he will be starting the Adequan regiment on Friday. Oddly enough, my vet recommended the 'off label' treatment and even told me that during months of heavy competition that I could give him a shot every 2 weeks. I wouldn't have thought anything of it except for what you posted about what your vet said. Sooo...hmmmm...guess we'll have to see how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Thursday- I hope the Adequan helps her :)

    ReplyDelete