Sunday, April 15, 2012

Donkey Bonnet?

It was quite warm today and I was feeling a bit tired... I didn't want to neglect my pony, though, so I decided to hop on and ride her around bareback. I managed to find the fly bonnet I had stuffed away in my horse trailer and wanted to try it on to see if she liked it better for rides than her fly mask. Long story short... no.

She looked a bit silly and begged me not to take her picture but I couldn't help myself. The space provided for her ears was ginormous! Do they make these things in one-size-fits-all just in case you have a donkey, or did I just get a cheap one that I should replace?

Made for donkeys?
She was a really good girl and made me look good in front of a bunch of people. (Thanks, Lilly!) They all said what an amazing rider I am... not just anyone can lope a horse bareback, you know! Forget the fact that our transitions are like butter these days and she has been doing an excellent job loping around nice and slow. No, they're right... I'm an amazing rider! :)

She shook her head way too much during our ride and I think her goal was to shake the goofy hat right off her head. She was quite happy when I took it off, so she'll just have to get used to the other mask when we ride. It's the only way to keep the gnats out of her eyes. It drives me crazy to see all those bugs around her face and that's half the reason we lope so much... to get away from all the bugs!

3 comments:

  1. Awww, cute pony! Amazing rider, lol!
    We have no gnats here. Snowstorms, yes. Gnats, no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Lilly just has petite ears! She looks like an almost diff horse with how dark she is!! And you are a great rider! It takes a certain amount of skill no matter how smooth your horse is to lope bareback, I agree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I have one of those too and yes, the ears are huge. I just ran them through my sewing machine to make them a more appropriate size for the boys. Took like 5 minutes.

      Delete