Saturday, April 7, 2012

Not 100%

I found my sweet pony taking a nap in the sunshine today. I wasn't sure how close she was going to let me get before she decided to get up, so I was quiet and calm. I was was able to remove her fly mask and get some cute pictures, then I sat down in the grass and watched her sleep.

Proof that she does actually get dirty sometimes! :)
Sand makes a comfy pillow for your teeth...
At one point, I tried to give her a carrot piece and she just held it in her mouth. I figured she was either really sleepy or feeling a bit under the weather from her rabies and strangles vaccines. The vet was out yesterday to give them for me, but I had already gone to work. The BO said everything went well and Lilly was a good girl.

I sat there with her for a good 15 minutes, enjoying the sunshine, and I had just decided not to ride when she suddenly jumped up out of the sand pit, started snorting, and walked over to her water trough. Something must have spooked her, but she was quite stiff and acted a little out of it. At first I thought she was just a little wobbly from being startled out of a deep snooze, but she continued to act a little strange.

Since she was up, I decided to take her into the barn and give her a good grooming. When I offered her another carrot piece, she happily gobbled it up. When I was grooming her in the cross ties, she still seemed off. She was eating treats, but was very lethargic and it was as if she didn't have any personality. She was just kind of there...

I decided to throw the bridle on and take her out to the arena for a quick little ride. The BO had just dragged the arena, so I wanted to get in there and ride to see how she would act. I had to drag her everywhere we went, which is unusual, and she wasn't really moving her feet with much umph. It's kind of hard to describe, but she was really dragging her back toes and shuffling her front feet. I didn't ride long because she didn't want to jog and I had finally convinced myself that something was going on.

The zombie pony...
She isn't running a fever, her gums look good, and I saw her drinking and eating grass. She didn't eat her breakfast, but that's nothing new, so not a good gauge of anything. She's never had adverse reactions to vaccines before, but lethargy is known to be a side effect of the rabies vaccine. Occasionally she was alert, and even nickered to one of the geldings, but she just wasn't herself.

I'm considering a couple different things that could be going on, but before I completely freak myself out, I'm going to ask the BO to give her some bute tonight and check on her tomorrow. I'm hoping she just feels a little down in the dumps from the rabies vaccine.

10 comments:

  1. Weird! Hope its just a side effect like you said and she is back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaccine time is always worrisome... hope she's feeling better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even decided to break things up a little bit this year. She got the rabies and strangles yesterday, and the rest of the shots will be stretched out over the next week or so. I know they can develop sensitivities as they get older, but I hope she isn't.

      Delete
  3. This happened with Jr a few springs ago the day after his shots. He was very lethargic and stiff, but was eating and drinking fine. The next day he was totally himself, though I lost a lot of sleep over it. I hope Lilly snaps out of it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did get the vaccines later in the day than normal, so maybe that's why she was still feeling icky. I hope she's back to normal tomorrow too! I don't like having to worry about her.

      Delete
  4. Uh-oh. I hope pretty Lilly feels much better after a good night's sleep. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terry. Hopefully she got in another nap today... maybe lots of extra rest will help.

      Delete
  5. That's so weird because Dee was under the weather too (a little colic-y). We had a huge temperature drop here this weekend and everyone wanted to blame that. I so wish that horses could talk sometimes! I sure hope Lilly is feeling better. I always get so apprehensive about vaccination time. Let us know how she's doing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a frost advisory last night, and lately we've been pretty warm. She wasn't colicy, but I hadn't thought about the weather being a factor... It would definitely be nice if they could talk!!

      Delete