Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sad Pony

The weather guy said today was going to be sunny and 85, so I wanted to ride and check on my pony. She was happily snacking on grass when I found her, in the hot sunshine, even though the other two horses were inside their lean-to barns staying away from bugs and sun. The bugs are definitely out in full force and I started putting Lilly's fly mask on yesterday.

She's still peeling, and it appears she got more sun since yesterday. She didn't seem tender when I groomed her yesterday, but today she was definitely shying away from my curry comb a bit.

Poor pony's shoulders peeling...
I'm starting to think the tender areas on her back I was concerned with the other day weren't from playing in the pasture, but rather from the sun. She isn't peeling back there, but she's definitely got some reddish areas of skin and is quite tender on the white areas.

She's finally starting to let go of the colored areas of hair. She holds on to those for quite a while, and normally sheds from front to back. She doesn't have a lot of color up front (and what she has just falls out, so she's actually bald), so I have to wait impatiently for her to start shedding the other areas of her body. I absolutely LOVE her color when she first sheds out in the spring. Her winter hair is really light compared to her true color, and it's beautiful! I'm finally starting to see some of that color!

Pretty summer color coming out, and you can see her poor pink shoulders. :(
I have a fly sheet I use on her in the summer and her fly spray contains sunscreen as well, but she doesn't have a neck cover. It's just way to hot for a sheet and a neck cover, so once the sun gets really hot, I just have her left inside during the day. There are fewer bugs bothering her that way, and she has a fan to help keep her cool. I've just never had to keep her inside this early in the year before. Today after our ride, though, I left her in the stall. She wasn't a happy camper either and nickered to me every time she saw me walking around in the barn.

Doesn't she looked depressed?
I'm not sure if I'll have to leave her inside every day from now on, but she won't be happy to be inside. The BO's horse is still on stall rest, though, so he enjoys having her in the barn with him. Their stalls are next to each other so they can play kissy face through the bars.

I also keep forgetting to mention that I have switched Lilly off the ProBalance pellets (for her digestive health) and put her on Fastrack probiotics. I've been thinking that Lilly might have more of a hind gut issue rather than a tummy issue, and Fastrack was recommended as something that would help with hind gut issues. What the heck, right? Might as well try it! She just started her new Smartpak and I'm anxious to see if she has less diarrhea on this supplement.

12 comments:

  1. Poor girl! So sensitive! Have you considered one of the combo fly sheet and neck covers like this rather than a stable sheet and neck cover? Dee is starting new SmartPaks this week too and I'm so anxious to see how she does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, just realized I sorta misread your post and it is a fly sheet that you're using. Nevermind me lol.

      Delete
    2. I do have a fly sheet for her, but it doesn't have a neck cover. Do those really work when they're putting their heads down to graze? The one you linked to is really nice... it doesn't look like it would be as hot as some of the ones I've looked at.

      I'm definitely thankful she doesn't have a pink nose!

      Delete
  2. Does Lilly get alfalfa? It really contributes to sunburn in a lot of horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope... no alfalfa for her. She used to get alfalfa pellets, but we stopped those quite some time ago.

      Delete
  3. I'm kinda glad to hear that Lilly looks homely at least some of the time. She's so stunning in all your pictures! On the alfalfa front, is there clover in her pastures? As far as I understand it (and I am no vet) the same substances that cause sunburn from alfalfa are also present in clover. And is there alfalfa in her grain? I know, it's a HUGE PITA to eliminate alfalfa, but if she is sensitive to excessive chlorophyll, she should get relief within a couple of days.

    And her feet will suffer if you stall her during the day. Again, I know, this SUCKS. But you should be aware of the possibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the goat hairs... they're not very becoming! LOL!

      She has a pretty crappy pasture and I haven't noticed any clover yet. I'm trying to remember if she had any last year and I don't think she did. She has lots of little yellow flowers, though.

      She only gets a handful of Ultium and I guess I don't know if it has alfalfa in it or not. She gets such a small amount, though, would even a tiny bit cause her to be extra sensitive?

      I have definitely thought about her hooves too... I'm not looking forward to what might happen there with her back to being stalled 12 hours per day.

      I'm just not sure why she burned, but I hope I'll figure it out! Last year I think I didn't start bringing her in until sometime in June, so I don't know why this is all starting so early this year. :(

      Delete
  4. Poor Lilly. That sunburn must really hurt. It looks painful. I'm so glad Brandy doesn't burn like that, although we don't get that much sun!
    My Paint sheds like Lilly. She holds on to her color and sheds out the white pretty fast. I can't wait for their summer coats too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor munchin. She does look pretty sad to be there in her stall instead of outside...or with you! If only we could converse with them so you could tell her to keep her little white hinny (er...shoulders) in that run-in! Maybe if you get her bit by a vampire she'd only come out at night when it's safe??? ...hey, can you just leave her out at night?? Lots of hot places do that, no??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Exactly!

      She usually stays out at night during the summer (which is inevitable), but I've never had to start leaving her in during the day this early in the year. Usually we start bringing her in around the first of June, not the first of April. It's just way too early... she really wants to be outside.

      Delete
  6. Have you ever tried Waterbabies SPF 45 sunscreen on her? I used to have to smear that on Turk's shoulders in the summer time because he would sunburn like that and my daughter has a paint horse with a pink nose. The Waterbabies brand of sunscreen seemed to be the most effective and neither horse ever had a reaction to it. Pink Swat works pretty good as well. But of course it stains so probably not a good idea if you want to show.

    I also always wondered if the Zinc sticks would work? I think you can get them in white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink Swat is my nightmare come true, but the Waterbabies stuff might be something to try. That way I could use her fly sheet but still protect her neck. Thanks for the idea!! :)

      Delete