Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Too Early For Sunburns!

Things have been pretty quiet on the Lilly front. I didn't ride Thursday, Friday, or Saturday because I was quite busy, but I went to visit her on Sunday with the intention of riding. As I was grooming her, though, I noticed she was a bit tender when I brushed her back. I always check to make sure she isn't sore and she was fine Wednesday after our ride, so I'm not sure why she's sore now. She is a bit of a goober in the pasture, so it's possible that she was playing and did something to make her back sore.

I also gave her off Monday, but went to visit and give her a good grooming. She's still shedding like crazy and looks a little like an orphan. She always loses ALL of her hair on her neck, shoulders, and chest (meaning she's bald), add in the long goat hairs she has mixed in, and the super thick coat on her belly and hindquarters, and you get one homely looking mare.

I went out today hoping to ride and found her much less sore. She was, however, peeling, which means at some point during the weekend she got a sunburn. She was peeling quite a bit, but the peeling was only on the areas of her body where she is bald. Both sides of her neck and shoulders were peeling and a small part on her back was also peeling. The areas of her rump that are still holding on to hair were fine. She's prone to sunburn, but because she doesn't have any of her summer coat yet, I guess her skin was more suseptible to the sun this weekend. I felt bad for her, but she didn't seem to be in any pain. It's supposed to rain the next couple days, so I think she'll be okay until this weekend. If she doesn't have some of her summer coat by the weekend, though, I might have to have the BO start bringing her in during the day so she doesn't get another burn. It's only April!

I did get in a ride today... yay! I switched her back to the tom thumb and she seemed to be quite happy. We worked on our usual items (jogging, staying soft in the lope, and transitions) and she did amazingly well. She wasn't quite as cranky about the transitions as she was in the other bit, so that's definitely a good thing. The loping exercises are working nicely as well, and she's starting to slow down the lope and keep herself up off her forehand. It was a great ride!

I have also decided that I'm not going to move to the other barn. I think it's best that we stay put where Lilly is happy.

7 comments:

  1. I noticed Pippi got sunburned this weekend on her nose. Poor Lilly sounds like she got burnt worse tho. Glad it isn't anything bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My half Arab gets sunburnt on her nose. I always feel so bad for her when I see it. Although I do put sunscreen on it as much as I can.
    Glad to hear that you decided to stay at the barn your at. I know it's hard without an indoor arena..and Lilly seems so happy there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you on the sunburn. Our poor sensitive skinned mares. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you were talking about yourself, haha, and I was about to say Ive been sunburnt 3 or 4 times already! (maybe I've figured out I need to put sunscreen on now...probably not, lol)

    Ugh, def drawback to a 'white' horse! Does she not do well with fly sheets that block uv? Or is it just easier to bring her in and then out at night?

    Glad your ride went well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor thing- sunburns are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cash gets decked out in a full-face flymask every day during the summer to prevent sunburn on his eyes and nose. He usually stays in the shade in the heat of the day, though, so I don't have to worry about the rest of him burning.

    Also, Lilly, homely? I bet on her worst day she's waaay prettier than most! ;)

    ReplyDelete