Friday, June 8, 2012

Finally, I Ride!

Until today, I have only ridden my horse FOUR times since April 28th... and all four of those times were at horse shows. That's not a very good track record! I tried to ride yesterday, but I got to the barn a little late and found my horse covered in messy diarrhea... by the time I washed her fly sheet, scrubbed her legs and cheeks, and washed her tail, any hope of riding went out the barn door. Oh, and today? Not a speck of it anywhere... I just don't get it. This diarrhea stuff is one more reason to love the new fly sheet, though. It is super light and easy to clean, and it dries really fast.

Our ride was okay. I didn't want to work her too hard, since we haven't done any real work in over a month, but I started working on the things we need to fix. I did a lot of jogging with only one hand, and then we moved on to the lope. It has been a really long time since she picked up the wrong lead, so I think I can finally say we're good there, which is a bonus. Now I need to make sure she stays soft in her transitions, round while we lope, and slower than mach speed.

When she lopes on the left lead, her transitions are beautiful, but she wants to chug around like a freight train. When she lopes on the right lead, her transitions are awful, but she stays round and slow as we lope. Completely different issues and way too much to try and fix at once. So today I worked on left lead circles, and right lead transitions. She did very well and by the end of the ride I had her going slower and giving me prettier transitions. I'll probably have to start over next time, but eventually it'll start to stick!

After our ride, I rinsed her off and got everything ready for her outside. I put on all her fly clothes and turned her out, wondering if she'd roll... she still seemed quite itchy after the ride. As I was putting away tack, I saw her walking around, sniffing the ground, looking for that perfect spot to roll. She always chooses a really grassy spot, which I appreciate very much. As I continued to clean up the barn, I glanced out at her again and saw her running around like a crazy horse, bucking! She missed her calling as a rodeo bronc because when she bucks, it's straight up and down... the girl doesn't play around. (I'm always glad she has never bucked during training!) I wondered what she was doing until I saw her snake her head around to her rump and instantly knew she was being attacked by a biting insect. I ran outside and ducked through the fence rails to get inside her pasture and she came running over to me and stopped, but continued to buck in place. I told her "easy, easy" and she stopped bucking, but I didn't see anything on her butt. She was still clearly in distress and then I heard it... a faint buzzing sound coming from under her sheet! I lifted it up and a bumblebee flew out from underneath it. I guess when she was rolling, the bee got underneath her sheet! I don't think it stung her because I didn't see any welts or bite marks, but she was very happy to have it gone!

Thank goodness I was there to rescue her! Who knows how long she would have been running around otherwise!

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you finally got to ride! Poor Lilly, that diarrhea is really puzzling.

    Thank goodness you were able to rescue her from the bee! I can't imagine what kind of dance I'd be doing if I got a bee in my clothes but I'm sure I'd be doing some good airs above the ground, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya for riding time!

    Poor Lilly, nice save on your part:)!

    Random, but how do you like the Amigo fly sheet? Is it durable or really meshy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really meshy, and super easy to snag. Lilly is really easy on clothes and her sheet has A LOT of snags already. I don't think it would hold up very well with a horse who is rough on clothes. I absolutely love it, but it doesn't look very pretty anymore. :)

      Delete
    2. Prob not for me then...I feel like I need something super tough...thanks for the info!

      Delete
  3. Poor Lilly, I'm sure I'd throw a fit if I had a bee in my clothes too!

    RE the Amigo, yeah, it snags... but it seems to hold up. I close all my velcro bits to make sure it doesn't have anything extra to snag against. Oh well, it doesn't rub and it keeps the bugs off. I guess we can't have everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it blocks like 95% of UV rays too! :)

      Delete
  4. You saved her!

    Once upon a time, I actually had a bee under my hairnet when I was in the warm-up arena at a show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - imagine if you hadn't been there to save her!

    Glad to read you had a great ride, you sure have come far with her since I started reading your blog. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete