Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Fun Ride!

I've been at odds with my BO about the arena again... they're not dragging it nearly enough, and when they do drag it, they use the smaller drag that does hardly anything to fluff up the footing of the arena. The footing was so hard yesterday that I didn't dare take twinkle toes in there and make her work.

After I sent an email complaining, the arena was dragged with the little drag again, so while I could actually get in there today, I didn't dare work her with any amount of gusto. It sounds like I have to wait for the weekend to see the arena dragged like it's supposed to be.

I was determined to ride, so I decided to ride bareback and just have fun jogging around. After playing around a bit, I got an idea... wonder how she'd do without her bridle? I've ridden her without a bridle in the round pen, but never in the arena. I decided instead to just unsnap my reins, leaving her bridle and fly mask intact. Then I made a loop around her neck with my reins and off we went. At first she seemed confused... she kept looking back at me like, "are you sure about this?", but she did really well! We jogged around, did some circles, and I briefly thought about asking for a canter. She has good brakes, and her go button works well, but I wasn't too sure how she'd do with the steering, so I decided I better err on the side of caution. No one wants to see a bride with a broken arm. :)

Much to my surprise (although, not really once I thought about it), she pivoted and sidepassed in both directions, and even backed up... someone sure did a good job with her training. Oh wait, that was me!

After we were done riding, I walked her out to the pasture where I had placed a giant pile of hay for her to snack on. She is SO good that she just stands there, waits for me to take off her halter, waits for me to put on her fly mask, and then gently lowers her head to start snacking. She has such good manners!!

Days like today remind me just how much I love my sweet girl.

I'm hoping now that I'm done being sick and the dental work I had done on my mouth doesn't hurt anymore, that I'll be able to start riding regularly again. Things have just been crazy!

6 comments:

  1. WHAT A GREAT RIDE!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a fine job with her training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome ride! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool!! I can't wait for the day when I can ride Chance bridleless!! I've always wanted to try that and haven't had the horse to do it yet!
    Sorry to hear about the BO and the arena not getting dragged. I don't understand why they think that's okay, especially when they have paying boarders there!! Hopefully they will get the hint and do it properly, soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Sounds like an amazing ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you put your time to good use! How fun and nice to know she can do it. You will be riding Freedom soon! :) My Oberon would never wait for his food like she does. He's a good boy... but certainly not always a gentlemen. :)

    ReplyDelete