Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Not Dead, But Almost...

Well, the good news is I'm not dead, but the bad news is at times I feel like I might die... I've been sick, sick, sick and haven't felt like doing anything unless it was mandatory (like work because they won't give me sick days). It seems that I get sick every time I'm around small children, so I either need to hang out with them more and beef up my immune system, or stay the heck away from them at all costs! My honorary nephew is just so darn cute... but he's like a miniature Petri dish!

While I haven't ridden, I've been checking on my pony about every other day. The barn owners are on vacation so I feel obligated to make sure the barn sitter is taking good care of my girl. She seems happy and content, so all is well with her.

I'm feeling slightly better today, but I've been sick for over a week and I'm just tired of being sick, so I think tomorrow I might ride whether I feel like crap or not. I'm not trying to have the next show be the first time I've ridden since the last show again!

And just to make sure this post isn't completely pointless, the Equimax doesn't seem to have fixed the diarrhea issue. The whole right side of Lilly's new fly sheet is stained a very familiar brown color and she had lots of drips down her legs. I guess I'm back to the Omega 3 hypothesis, but the dewormer was worth a shot and she needed one anyway! I was just so hopeful...

Since the diarrhea seems to disappear in the spring and then come back here and there during the summer, only to REALLY make an appearance in the fall and winter, BrownEyed Cowgirl and I had discussed the fact that green grass contains Omega 3's, and perhaps that's the missing piece in her digestive system. This fall I was going to experiment with flax seed and see if I could notice a difference. I could start now, but I wanted to wait until we have a more consistent problem for experimentation. Omega Horseshine contains Omega 3's, and my barn owner RAVES about the stuff, but it only comes in a powder, so I'm out of luck there. Her highness won't eat powder, so I might have to get creative.

Hope everyone is enjoying their horses!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that your sick and hope you feel better soon! That's too bad that the Equimax didn't help Lilly's diarrhea. Hopefully you will find something that will help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick no fun..

    I can't vouch for the poops, but we LOVE Omega Fields products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we need to get you on a little herbal remedies too. ;-)

    I really am at a loss with Lily. Something just isn't digesting right...but I've never had a horse with chronic diarrhea so haven't had to experiment with fixing it. I almost wonder if it isn't worth calling Don @ Equine Science and visiting with him. He really helped me get Moon's respiratory back on track and I had a great visit with him about the soreness issues I had/have going on with Moon and Spooks. He hooked me up with a couple of products to combat that problem. The website for Equine Science is herbs4horses.com. If you call, just ask to speak to Don and if he's not available he will call you back as soon as he can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you figure out Lilly's problem and you are back in the saddle soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better soon and that you figure out what's ailing Lily. :+)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you're feeling so poorly, and I hope you're back to 100% soon!

    Bummer that Equimaxx didn't fix the issue with Lilly. Steroids (Dex) has 100% addressed Cash's problem, so I know it's probably inflammation somewhere in the cecum. Hopefully that's not what's going on with Lilly, but I sure hope you can get it solved!

    ReplyDelete