Monday, July 2, 2012

Boring and Busy

Thanks to the weather, things have been pretty boring in the horse world. The BO has been keeping Lilly in during the day and turning her out at night at my request. So each day around noon, I drove over to see her. I refill her water, throw her a flake of hay, pick out her stall, spray her with fly spray, and groom her. Then I'm on my way back home. We're getting a break in the weather, but it's coming just in time for my week to get busy with non-horsey things and wedding things. That's the way it always goes.

A few months ago, I started thinking about going to a Paint show. There is one the weekend of July 14th and I was seriously considering going. It's an EIGHT(!) judge show, and those are always really expensive because you pay per class, per judge, but they implemented a "poor boy" fee, so I figured I might actually be able to afford it. It's still pricey, but one of my goals this year was to show at an APHA show and this one is my only option.

I've decided, however, I'm not going. Even though it's "affordable", it's still too expensive considering how much time I've been able to spend working my horse these last couple months. I was thinking maybe with eight judges, one of them might like us, but I just can't risk it. Even if I wasn't worried about placing, it's still fun to go to these weekend breed shows, but I just can't talk myself into it.

So instead of the Paint show, I'm planning on hauling Lilly to a smaller, local show. Hopefully the weather stays tolerable and I can get in some good rides between now and then. The arena was finally dragged, so at least we're making some progress.

Hope everyone is staying cool!

5 comments:

  1. What's a poor boy fee? I've never heard that before. Do they have poor old lady fees too? That's what I'd need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big shows are fun, but small shows are a lot of fun, too. I don't think you'll regret the decision.

    I imagine an 8 judge show could get expensive! I grumbled about the fees with just two concurrent judges! I'm also curious about how this poor boy fee works. I keep seeing so many things that the stock horse people are doing to encourage people to show (not just the top percentile).

    Checking the forecast it looks like we're in for another week of 100F days. I wish Dee could get night turnout instead of day...I don't think she appreciates this weather at all! I always find her hiding in her shelter avoiding the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am watching the late news on TV tonight here in my living room in New Zealand hearing about your weather....meanwhile here ..fire going ....below zero outside , raining.....with my horses in the shed tucked up for the night. Sometimes it is hard to imagine that the other side of the world is havng the complete opposite. SO I hope you find some cool spots in the day to enjoy Lilly and I hope you get to your local show. I just do the local shows as well, because like you I find the further away shows tend to be expensive.
    Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to imagine COLD somewhere else on the planet! It sounds pretty good, right about now, actually. Snuggled up with a blanket, a nice warm fire, and maybe a mug of hot chocolate. :)

      The local shows are definitely more reasonable as far as price goes and sometimes they're more fun too because I'm more likely to run into people I know.

      Delete
  4. The poor boy fee is just some random price the show manager works up for the weekend... so instead of paying for each class, plus your stall, plus this fee and that fee, they just come up with one magic price. The magic price they picked for the weekend of the 14th is $350. So you can show as many classes as you want and not have to worry about spending more than $350. What a deal! It doesn't include your camper hookups, though... so that would cost me an extra $100... plus gas to drive 4 hours... plus food for the weekend... you get the point. :)

    ReplyDelete