Tuesday, July 17, 2012

More Lilly Hooves

I haven't done any hoof comparisons in a while, so when I went to visit Lilly today I took my camera and got a couple shots of her hooves. When I decide to trim her hooves, it usually takes me about 3 days. The first day is trimming all the obvious stuff, the second day is fixing what I think I missed the first day, and then the third day is when I decide they look pretty good after a few more touch-ups. Today was day two, of course, so I'm still working on some of the areas... sometimes I feel pretty "special" when working with my trimming tools, so it often takes me quite a while to get things done.

The hoof wall on her hind hooves grow like CRAZY, and if I don't keep up with them they really start to flare. On her fronts, though, it's still really just about shaping, rolling the toe from the top of the hoof, trimming the bars, and rasping down the heels. She grows absolutely NO hoof wall on her quarters or toes and I'm really starting to get frustrated. I don't think she'll ever be completely comfortable on her bare hooves if she's constantly walking around on sole. And it's not like I'm riding her down the concrete road, wearing them down... she stands in a sandy pasture all day and gets ridden in a sandy ring (and not very often, I'm ashamed to say).

The no wall thing also means her hooves are uneven... if you look down at the hoof from the heel, it's all over the place, but I don't want to try and get things level and flat because that would mean touching the live sole, and I certainly don't want to do that. Why can't the fronts grow hoof wall like the hinds do??

Left Front Hoof
First trim back in September...
After yesterday's trim...
Right Front Hoof

First trim back in September...
After yesterday's trim...
Aside from having zero concavity and no hoof wall to work with, I think they look pretty healthy. Hopefully everyone agrees... Her heels have really relaxed and she's still quite happy as far as I can tell. If I could only get some hoof wall to grow I could try and work on some of the shape issues I see with the whole hoof.

Thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. So neat to see the changes! Amazing to me how different her LF and RF are today! her right front heels have back up way more.. was her left front the one you were struggling with shod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the right front is the one we were having all the issues with. It was the one we x-rayed and were worried about because she seemed a bit lame on it. We never really had an issue with the left front.

      The left front is the crooked one, though, so she wears it really funny... it's attached to her pastern crooked, so it's challenging to trim.

      Delete
    2. ahhh that makes lots of sense.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, no comment from me! I know just enough about hooves to know I know squat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started learning about hooves, so I don't know enough to make any comment. :( I'm starting to trim on my own, but all I've gotten comfortable doing is smoothing out the toes and adding a barefoot roll. They both look pretty healthy to me though from what I've been seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The improvement since her first trim is tremendous, even if you feel like she's not growing much hoof wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing transformation.

    Hah-I would trade you some wall growth for some of that frog. Something I'm feeding has everyone's hooves growing like crazy. Am having a terrible time with 'flat feet' this year though. Our winter was so mild and it has been so dry and hot that everyone's feet are just pancaking terribly. Quality of hoof is there because of my feed program...Just having trouble with shape. :(

    ReplyDelete