Thursday, August 30, 2012

AJ Visit

This past weekend I took a small vacation to Michigan. My mom threw me a bridal shower and we had a party with all the local relatives as well. It was wonderful seeing everyone, especially since a few of my family members won't be able to make it to the wedding. The weather was spectacular every day I was there, and I had a really nice time.

It was also wonderful seeing AJ. It's been quite a while since I've been able to kiss his sweet nose and I was so happy to see him. He looks fantastic and while I didn't have a lot of time, I made some time to take him for a little ride. My dad asked if I'd ride his horse Justus a little bit too, so I spent Tuesday morning playing musical ponies.

When I rode AJ, Justus was right by our side and AJ wasn't very thrilled about that. He kept pinning his ears and would nip at Justus if he got too close.

Justus never left our side the whole time.
At one point things got a little hairy and AJ started bucking! Since bucking off the future bride is frowned upon, the ride was cut short. I don't want to have to figure out how to match a cast to a wedding dress. Not that I'd actually fall off... Pshh!! :) At least we can say he's feeling REALLY good these days!!

So cute!
He's having so much fun!
When I swapped ponies and rode Justus around, AJ decided he needed to follow us. I guess it's only fair!

Now it's AJ's turn to follow the leader.
Not too long into the ride, though, he decided the grass was much more fun so Justus and I had some time alone to practice side-passing and then pose for pictures.

Got one with his ears up!
Both of the boys are much bigger than Lilly and it's always fun to climb up into the saddle and feel their longer stride. Neither one of them listens quite as well as my sweet Lilly, but they are retired and used to the easy life!

AJ is looking pretty darn good for an old man! Michigan weather is so much easier for him than the hot, humid summers we have here in NC. My parents are taking fabulous care of him and he has a wonderful home there. That doesn't mean I don't miss loving on him, though.

I sure do miss seeing this sweet face!

12 comments:

  1. What a great visit - he does look wonderful for his age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have a horse-crush on Justus. AJ looks SO happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, AJ looks great! I would have never thought he was an old man ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AJ looks fabulous! I love that he bucked LOL.

    I too know a horse named Justus—weird, huh? Although the one I knew isn't nearly as handsome as yours ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. D'awww, lookit those sweet faces! They both look fantastic - fat, happy, and shiny. You couldn't ask for more! I'm glad you got rides in on both of them, even if AJ as feeling so good that he bucked. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like they are both really enjoying retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AJ looks great, and Justus is a good looking hunk of horse.
    You've grown your hair out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun weekend!! Did you get lots of good stuff at your wedding shower?? LOL at AJ being like, listen here, buzz off!! And Justus is so pretty!! Hes HUGE too! How tall is he?
    Love that last pic of AJ, he is so cute!! Glad he is doing so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not actually sure how tall Justus is... AJ is just shy of 16 hands, so I think Justus is around 16.2. My dad is a pretty tall guy, so he wanted a tall horse. :)

      Delete
  9. Aww..future bride?!?! Congratulations! I'm going to catch up tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone! Justus is super cute, isn't he? I love his big blaze and his teddy bear face!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both are adorable and make perfect pasture mates!

    ReplyDelete