Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Birthday?

It may or may not be my birthday today, and I may or may not have received some super cool gifts that I think my fellow horse enthusiasts would be interested in!

My parents got me a great new pair of 15" Diamond nippers. They came a few days ago and I couldn't wait to try them out, so Lilly has already had her first trim with them. I'm thrilled to say she wasn't sore the next day! Not that I thought she would be, but I was nervous using the nippers for the first time. With the new rasp I bought a few weeks ago I was able to spend about half the time I usually do on her hooves, which was quite nice. Now that I have new nippers I feel like a genuine hoof trimmer! Once I get an apron, I'll be officially official!

For realz hoof trimmer tools!
My fiance's sister got me Yoga For Equestrians and I can't wait to get started reading it. I haven't been to any yoga classes yet, but I bought a Groupon a while back for some classes, so it's on my to-do list for sure. Probably once the craziness of the wedding planning is over I'll get some scheduled.

Anyone else read this one yet?
The future hubby got me a new lens for my Nikon D40 that I'm super excited about. I have a 35mm lens, an 18-55mm kit lens (that sucks bad and I don't know why I haven't pitched it yet), and a 55-200mm lens that tends to be my favorite for taking most of my photos. I've been looking for something that could work as an all-around lens so I can do wide angle and have some zoom all in one lens. I finally decided on the Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens and it had been chilling in my Amazon wish list for quite some time. I was going to buy it for myself to take on the honeymoon, but now I don't have to!

Dreamy!
I wanted to get some pictures with it today while I was at the barn, but the weather didn't cooperate, so I'll have to take some pictures later. It got mostly positive reviews on Amazon, but I won't really know what kind of photos I can get until I play around with it.

Since it was raining, I didn't do much with Lilly. She was inside because of the weather, so I picked out her stall and refilled her hay net. We recently welcomed a new horse to the barn named Gabe and he's stalled during the day too, so I played with him a bit. He's a super cute Appendix who looks a lot like Lilly's old flame... there's just something about dark horses that she is attracted to, so he's currently her boyfriend.

The BO's horse, Jack, had a traumatic experience the other night when we had a really severe storm, so he's stall bound and will be for quite some time. No one really knows what happened, but he got into a fight with the pasture gate and managed to impale himself pretty badly. The puncture wound is pretty much where the top of an english girth would buckle to the saddle, so it'll be quite some time before they can ride him in a saddle. He's doing much better than he was a few days ago but he's still in pretty bad shape.

Sometimes I feel like a high maintenance boarder when I ask them to bring Lilly inside when it rains and storms, but it's things like this that scare me to death. I'd just rather she be safely inside her stall when we have weather like that. You just never know what can happen.

11 comments:

  1. If it just so happens it's your birthday, Happy Birthday!!!
    I don't think you're high maintenance for having Lilly brought in in bad weather. Living in the wild west, we bring the horses in if there's a chance of hail or lightning, or even if it's too darn hot. I guess I'm a high maintenance BO, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terry! :)

      The BO never brings in any of her horses, which kind of surprises me, but I know there are two different trains of thought on that subject. Just knowing that Lilly is inside when it's nasty outside helps keep my anxiety at bay. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  2. Happy maybe birthday? ;)

    Dee will be switching to outside board next month and I admit the idea of her not having a stall anymore freaks me out! She can be such a dingbat when the weather gets bad. So no, I don't think you're a high maintenance boarder at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Story! :)

      I've seen the weather really get the horses going, and when one starts to get crazy, they all get a little nuts. Hopefully Dee likes her new arrangement and stays nice and calm when the weather gets iffy.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! What fantastic gifts!!
    I don't blame you for getting worried about Lilly being outside in the bad weather. If I had a barn I would lock mine in a stall too since we have nasty weather a lot! But I don't so they stay outside and hide in their run in sheds. Oh what I would do for a barn....
    Poor Jack. Hope he heals up quick. Sounds like a nasty injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      Poor Jack is definitely going to have a long road ahead of him. Luckily his stitches are staying in so far and the injury is in a location that he can't reach, so he can't chew on things and make a mess. His belly is really swollen still, but he's in good spirits, which is nice to see.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, and what great and thoughtful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday!!! : ) Awesome gifts!!! : ) (especially since they're almost Lilly's gifts too! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! My friends and family definitely buy for me with Lilly in mind. :)

      Delete
  6. Woops, happy late birthday! I am giggling about your parents buying you nippers - they know you SO well! Loved the new-lens pics of Miss L.

    ReplyDelete