Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Beautiful Day

We've been having the most gorgeous weather ever! I've been keeping busy with my wedding to-do list, my new house/rent the old house to-do list, and hoof trims, so I haven't had a chance to ride Lilly in quite a while. Today, however, I just couldn't help myself and I snuck in a quick bareback ride.

Let me first just say how much I love my sweet pony. She is to die for, I'm telling you! I walked out to her pasture, hollered "sweet pea!" and came jogging over to see me. If that doesn't warm your heart, I don't know what will.

I got her groomed and fly sprayed and decided instead of riding her bareback with the dinky snaffle bit, which I usually do in case something awful happens and I end up getting in her mouth, I decided to use my regular bridle and bit. I'm so much better at riding her bareback now, and she's so much better about everything, that I thought it would be okay to move on to bigger and better things.

She rode like a superstar today. We walked, jogged, and loped around the arena without a single issue. Even her transitions were like butter... I squeezed and she stepped into each transition like it was nothing. I remember the days when I had to sneak a handful of mane before asking for the lope when we were bareback. Not any longer!

She was SO good. We had a really nice ride and enjoyed spending time together. I could tell she was enjoying herself and there was a lot of licking every time I rubbed her shoulder and told her she was a good girl. She's getting better about not holding tension in her jaw when we're working, and I find that a nice rub and a super enthusiastic "good girl" really helps her relax. She tries so desperately to please!

I must say, though, that she is getting FAT. The late summer grass is coming in and she has quite a bit to eat out there. Without any exercise, she's plumping right up. I need to double check that the BO isn't feeding her more than a handful of grain at breakfast and then figure out what to do about her giant belly.

Enjoying some scratches!
I'm trying to keep up with all your blogs as best I can. Know that even if I'm not commenting, I'm reading. I hope you're all enjoying this beautiful weather!

4 comments:

  1. I really hope you plan to take pictures of this wedding! You keep talking about it so we want to see the finished product when it happens :) Sounds like Lilly is growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I want wedding photos too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post pictures for sure! Once I get a few more things done, I'll post a few pictures of what the decor will look like, and then when we get the proofs back, I'll share some of those too. Pray for beautiful weather because we're saying our vows on the beach, in front of the entire Atlantic Ocean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun bareback ride!! I never ride bareback, well maybe a couple times since I was a teenager. My Arab has a narrow topline and she is not comfortable to ride bareback! I did jump on my mustang filly while she was out in the pasture with just her halter on a couple weeks ago. That was the first time I had been on her bareback. It was fun!
    In my teens I showed bareback a lot. Actually I rode bareback most of the time then! Funny how things change!

    ReplyDelete