Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Need Another Fly Sheet...

Things are starting to come together for the wedding... I can't believe it's only 25 days away! I'll post some pictures once I get a few more things assembled, but I'm very happy with everything I've chosen so far! Our colors are grape and lime green, with a starfish theme. Can you picture it? :)

The problem with making so much progress with the wedding to-do list means poor Lilly is being neglected. Okay, maybe not neglected, but let's just say she's looking a little chubby and quite scruffy these days. Her bridle path looks a bit like a mohawk, her mane is getting really long, and her ears are full of hair. Oh the humanity!!

I've actually been to check on her quite often and she's doing great. She always looks at me like she's embarrassed by her appearance, hopeful that I'll bring her in and make her look beautiful, but it just never happens. Her hooves need to be trimmed, though, so that's on my must-do-soon pony list. Maybe I'll tidy her up a bit while I have her inside for the trim. Tomorrow I pick up my wedding dress, so there will be no time for ponies trims until Thursday. I sure hope it fits! I had a bit of an exciting experience when I had my first fitting so I hope the alterations lady was able to get what she needed. I almost passed out cold, but luckily the 125,421 pins she had put in the dress stabbed me as I fell and I never lost consciousness!

And now for the reason of this post... fly sheets. Yes, I'm in the market for ANOTHER fly sheet. Somehow Lilly managed to rip the strap off hers and the tear went half way up the side of the blanket. The straps were always way too long, and no matter how many knots I put in them, they hung down. I think she stepped on it when she was getting up. I couldn't find the strap and I never really did like the way it fit her anyway, so I wadded it up and tossed it in the garbage can. So now she has no fly sheet. On the hottest days I bring her inside because she still gets a sunburn now and then, and when the flies are at their worst, I feel bad for her, so she gets stalled during the day.

I had a heck of a time choosing that one, so I'm dreading going through the process all over again. I'm hoping I'll be able to find a good deal, though, since we're coming to the end of fly season (although not really). This time, the items on the must have list are neck cover, at least 80% UV protection, lightweight, and a belly band. Her belly is being eaten alive by black flies and no matter how much SWAT I slather on her cute little hair whorls, those dang flies just congregate there and chew on her all day. The belly band will cover those up and I won't have to worry about her belly anymore.

I'm thinking about getting her the Interlock Mesh Combo Sheet from SSTack. The UV protection is only 80%, which is kind of low, but I like it otherwise.

Interlock Mesh Bellyband Combo Fly Sheet
Does anyone have a Schneider's fly sheet? I have plenty of their blankets and I love them, but I've never ordered one of their fly sheets. It got really good reviews, but I'm not sure Lilly is built for the Euro cut.

12 comments:

  1. You should see how torn up MY fly sheet is! I finally gave up. I've fondled a few of their fly sheets. Not this one, though since I think it's new. I noticed it in the catalog and will probably go check it out at Congress next month. Schneiders has a HUGE store there.

    I know with Lilly's princess tummy you have to be careful, but the past two years I've been giving Junior Smartbugsoff from smartpak. It has made a huge difference, or at least it seems to. He used to break out in hives every summer but hasn't since we started the supplement. My BO used it on all of her lesson horses this year and said she went through a lot less spray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if that feed through stuff worked if only one horse is getting it. I might try it next year and see if it works. Lilly has been doing so good, though, that I'm afraid to change anything right now!

      Delete
  2. I don't have one of their fly sheets either but this is the same one I was considering getting. I really like the coverage it seems to have and it sounds like the fabric is soft enough to not cause rubs. I've loved every Schneider's blanket I've ever had too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should buy yours before I buy mine! LOL

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see wedding pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we have wonderful weather so we have many gorgeous pictures!

      Delete
  4. Wow, the wedding is coming up quick!!
    I have never tried the Schneider's fly sheets. I haven't had to buy a new fly sheet in years, but ever since I have started using fly predators, I don't use them anymore. I will put one on my Arab every now and then just to keep her clean in the summer.
    But I really like the one you have posted here. It looks very nice! We only order Schneider's blankets at the Arab farm and they are super nice!
    I have Euro cut winter blankets for my girls and I love the cut. Even on my dainty Arab it fits good. It gives more coverage! And I don't think I could ever go back to the regular cut on blankets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I've been avoiding the euro cut stuff, but maybe I should give it a try. I do like the fact that it sits up higher on their withers/neck so there's less chance of it getting stuck behind her withers. Perhaps this is the one I'll try.

      Delete
  5. Wedding!! Wish I lived closer so we could come! I hope everything comes together quickly and it goes great!! Def need pics! Where are yall goin on your honeymoon??
    As for fly sheets, sorry no help, never needed one on my low maintenance girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming SO FAST! It's a bummer to think after all this planning, time, and money that it'll be over in about four hours. :(

      We're taking a cruise to Hawaii for the honeymoon! I can't wait!

      Delete